Sign in to follow this  
scifi4all

What's the Difference?

scifi4all

What are the major differences between these models? Is it transmissions, tires sizes, deck sizes? Looking at a couple for sale. The 414-8 is approx. an '88 and the 314-8 is around a '99.

stevebo

Tire size.....

dgjks6

The earlier 300's had the 1 inch read axles with the 4 pinion differential. The 400's had the 1 1/8inch 8 pinion.

For the years you are comparing, they both have the 1 1/8, I think.

I also think in 99 the tractor will have a kohler command and the 88 will have a magnum.

Both are great tractors - I would get the one that has been better taken care of.

truckin88

both are great it would come down to condition and price

scifi4all

Thanks guys! The 314-8 looks better and is a decade newer.

Steve, I only threw tire size in there as an example. I have only my '73 and a 76 12-8 speeds as reference. Never been around any of the 300, 400, or 500 series. (Haven't made it to Arendtsville, pa show yet, hope to this year.)

In some of the pics on the site some of these series tractors appear to have smaller front tires than other years of the same series, and I would assume also smaller rear tires. And the 500 series look huge compared to my old tractors. Wish I was looking at one of them, ah, someday. When I get a bigger yard. :thumbs: