Sign in to follow this  
scottba

Engine

scottba

After running steady for an hour or so, my M12 stalls, usually with a loud backfire or two. Immediate attempts to restart are unsuccessful and it seems to have complete loss of compression. After just a minute or two, it cranks right back up and runs great otherwise; no smoke & no unusual oil use or loss. Ordinarily it has no starting problems - either hot or cold. Suggestions? Head gasket? Could the oil sentry protection feature be faulty?

Duff

Bruce, :wh: ! Glad you found us, and thank you for your service! My Dad was in the US Army Air Corps in WWII.

Except for the loss of compression I would have said there's a fuel deilvery problem, either air locking or the carb float hanging up. The compression issue would seem to suggest a valve is hanging.

There are a bunch of guys around here who are real pros at engine diagnostics so I'll be watching to see what they have to offer.

Duff :thumbs:

JC 1965

:wh: Sorry I can't help with your problem but :D and thank you for your service to our country. :thumbs:

gwgdog66

:thumbs: I've never worked on a magnum, if it was a K series I might could lend a few points. I think Duff is on the right track. Maybe one of the Magnum guys can help you out.