Sign in to follow this  
ricksrj58

repower the 656

ricksrj58

i was given a fairly nice restored 66 656 minus engine,i am picking up a nice 12 horse kohler friday.will the 12 bolt right in with no mods to hood?the engine is off a wheelhorse

SAM_0074.jpg

Kelly

In short NO, and maybe, but it will have to be a AS engine with the small oil pan then there is a faily long list of items you will need to put it in, basicly you will need to copy a 1055, but if done right it could be a bolt in, except a tab on the frame but spacers could be used, some of the parts are hard to find.

ricksrj58

thanks kelly,i am getting the engine and complete wiring harness,so we will see what happens when i get it

corn53

Good luck with the repower!!! That is a nice lookin tractor!! :thumbs:

Kelly

like I said it's a long list of parts needed to put a big block kohler in there, and not cut anything, some of the parts are not easy to find, but I might have most of them if you go for it, post a pic of the engine when you get it, I can tell you if it will fit.

ricksrj58

well i got the engine early and it is way too tall,so i was thinking about taking the 8 horse of of my c-81 for this tractor and putting the 12 on the c-81 with 1 inch to spare when the hood is closed.

VinsRJ

A 8hp Kohler will be really nice in that tractor. :thumbs: