Sign in to follow this  
skeggordon

New Wheel Horse owner in MD.

Duff

As to the 2 vs. 2-1/2 quart controversy, I run all my engines just a skosh over the "full" mark on the dip stick to compenstate for a moderate hill in my yard. It takes just a hair over 2-1/2 quarts. So far I'm not blowing oil out anywhere and I've never had an engine get noisy climbing the hill because it was starving for lubrication.

Hello Duff,

I recall reading that the Kohler Magnum 10 could operate at up to a 30 degree angle. Do you think that is higher that it should be? The tractor has to work on a definite slope here.

Yours, Jay Gordon

Jay, I'd rather have someone with more experience, like Terry (TT) or one of our other engine experts (Garry?), answer that just to be safe. 30 degrees sounds a little steep for a splash-lubed engine, but I do think I run pretty close to that on part of an access road between my lawn and a lower field without any issues. I'm only pitched that much for less than a minute so maybe I'm just lucky, and I do have all my motors a little overfilled for just that reason. :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

shallowwatersailor

As to the 2 vs. 2-1/2 quart controversy, I run all my engines just a skosh over the "full" mark on the dip stick to compenstate for a moderate hill in my yard. It takes just a hair over 2-1/2 quarts. So far I'm not blowing oil out anywhere and I've never had an engine get noisy climbing the hill because it was starving for lubrication.

Hello Duff,

I recall reading that the Kohler Magnum 10 could operate at up to a 30 degree angle. Do you think that is higher that it should be? The tractor has to work on a definite slope here.

Yours, Jay Gordon

Jay,

On a Cub Cadet forum I read that Kohler originally used the two quarts level on the K-series but found problems with the splash lubrication. To avoid warranty problems it was raised to 2 1/2 quarts. I would agree with Duff as to running a smidge over in your case. And wait for it to dry up; definitely not after a day like today.

John

gwest_ca

Yours, Jay Gordon

In the K241-K341 owner manual it states on page 7

Do not operate this engine continuously at angles exceeding 30 degrees in any direction. Engine damage could result from insufficient lubrication. (30 degree slope = 58% grade = 58 feet in 100 feet)

Have never compared the Toro recommendations but from the 1990 520-H manual

Do not operate machine on hillsides or slopes exceeding 15 degrees. (15 degree slope = 27% grade = 27 feet in 100 feet)

Garry

tunahead72

First, removing the oil switch does NOT require tearing the engine down unless I'm completely off-base. On both my 312's and my 310, all with Magnum engines, the oil switch is screwed into the base of the block much the same as a drain plug (and if you get rid of the switches like I did, you simply replace them with the appropriate sized drain plug - sorry - I don't thave the size in front of me here at work). If you take a switch out and put it back in or replace it with a new one, then there is a particular way of doing it that's spelled out in the manual. Basically it's because the switch

Hey, Duff, good to hear from you again!

Sounds like the Magnum is similar to my K241S. And the reason I asked is that the guy who rebuilt my engine a couple of years ago (the mechanic whose judgment I don't trust? same guy, and there's more :thumbs: ) did a half-a$$ed job of putting the oil switch back in. The body (outside the oil pan) looks like it's sliced about halfway through, and I have no idea if it even works any more -- at least I know how to test it now, thanks to Garry. :wh:

Anyway, my plan was to cut the wires and tape them up (or remove the connector?) if the switch ever started acting up. A less than ideal solution, but I have no intention of opening up the engine again unless I absolutely have to. But if I can simply remove it the next time I do an oil change, I'll just replace it with a plug. I don't need the switch -- I'm completely anal about checking fluid levels, on all my vehicles and machines, goes way back to when my '68 VW Bug started leaking/using oil.

By the way, "basically it's because the switch" ... what?

tunahead72

Jay,

I have an operator's manual for the 1987 300 & 400 series tractors, all of which had the Magnum engine. It lists the same advice that Garry noted for the '90 520-H, but it's included as part of the safe operation practices at the beginning of the manual, not as operating limits for the engine itself.

By the way, the Kohler K-series owner's manual also states (p. 6) that "this engine will operate continuously at angles up to 30 degrees". Don't know if that applies to the Magnums as well.

You should probably download the Magnum owner's manual from the Kohler site and see what it has to say -- and also listen for more expert advice than I can give you. :thumbs:

skeggordon

Well, my recollection was imperfect. Looked up the specs of the Magnum 10 in the service manual and found this:

AngleofOperation.png

Note the change with and without the Oil Sentry. With the carb side up, which is in the front, it goes from 15deg with the Sentry, to 45deg without. Went out to look at the engine, expecting to find the Sentry on the carb side of the engine, but no, it is under the starter. :thumbs: Also odd, the Carb. side down angle doesn't change.

Of course the manual (TP-2203-A) says not to fill over the F mark. This is the manual that wasn't from the Kohler website, their manual omits the Magnum 10. (Kohler manual TP-2200-F allows operation to 30deg, which is what I remembered, but that manual has no mention of the M10.) But I think I'll try Duff's procedure, and overfill by a 1/2 quart.

The following is what I'd put in the advise for lawyers category.

Danger.png

Pretty sure the steepest parts of my lawn are over 10deg, and I go up 'em.

Its spring, and the grass is growing fast. Will have to mow again as soon as it dries up, Dang! :wh: Thank you all for your interest.

Yours, Jay Gordon

tunahead72

Which bring up a couple of questions -- how did Wheel Horse increase the capacity to 2-1/2 quarts, and how do I know if I have the correct dipstick for my machine?

Starting 1986 and on they simply added another 1/2 quart to the original 2 quarts.

The original long 2 quart dip stick is Kohler part number 47-038-16

The new shorter 2-1/2 quart dipstick is Kohler part number 47-038-18

The part number should be on the dipstick.

You can raise the add mark on the long 47-038-16 dipstick 1" and raise the full mark 7/8" to get the same marks of the new short stick.

I realize this is old news to a lot of you, but I'm curious....

I just read the service bulletin on this topic, and it appears that Kohler and Wheel Horse didn't do anything to actually physically increase the oil capacity of these engines, they just said it was so and gave everybody a different dipstick?

So, all these K-series engines out there since, what, the '60's, that had been running quite nicely with 2 quarts of oil, all of a sudden were supposed to have had 2-1/2 quarts all along? And the "new but unchanged" versions "needed" 2-1/2 quarts?

I'm sorry, that just cracks me up! :thumbs:

--------

Jay, I'm just a homeowner who's had four Kohler-powered machines over the years, and loved and had good results with all of them. And I know yours is a Magnum, not the K-series I've had. But based on the experience of Duff and others I know who routinely run these engines slightly over full, I'd say you're probably safe adding a couple of extra ounces of oil, and you may avoid some problems on your slopes.

Just my 2 cents. :wh:

Duff

By the way, "basically it's because the switch" ... what?

Oops! Brain cramp.....

Basically it's because the switch can be installed to create either a normally open or normally closed circuit if the oil level gets too low. In most cases, I think when the oil gets too low it closes to complete the circuit to the warning light. If installed the other way, it might be set up to kill the engine if the oil gets low - effective but could be very dangerous depending on where you were and what you were doing when the motor cut out unexpectedly.

Kohler engine guys, am I on the right track here? :wh:

~Duff :thumbs:

wheelyhorse

To skeggordon .If you would like manuals I have owned mine for 23 years and have all manual. SAME KOLER have manual for that to can scan and emalil if you like. I bought it from a man that worked for them in PENN and moved for to FL and tested them at USF in tampa FL. (unversity of south florida) garyfay@bellsouth,net