Sign in to follow this  
skeggordon

New Wheel Horse owner in MD.

skeggordon

Hello there Red Square inhabitants! This is a very friendly and helpful site. Thought you might like to see a few pictures of my newly purchased lawn tractor, a 1989 WH 310-8.

WHportsideviewsmaller.png

Moved into a house with about a 1/2 acre, and last summer had the neighbor mow most of it, and bought a push mower for the back yard. We have a fair number of large trees, and the amount of leaves that fall is amazing. So started to think about some way to pickup the leaves.

th_WHportsideviewVGA.png

That reminded me of the times when I was a kid I'd go to the county fair in Ohio with my cousins and watch the garden tractor pulls. My cousins were on a farm, and always had John Deeres. But I remembered seeing these rather utilitarian looking Wheel Horse tractors with lots of exposed mechanical parts. So I took a look in Craigslist, and there it was, a 1989 310-8 with a bagger. Guy who was selling it said it started up after sitting for 2 years. Anyway, went out and saw it, and everything worked, so I gave him $450 and put it on my trailer and took it home. The price was fair enough, no steal though, but at least I didn't have to drive to PA to pick it up.

th_WHbaggerVGA.png

I've already used it to move tarploads of leaves to the leaf pile in the back yard, and pick up some leaves using the bagger. It worked pretty well for that, but did clog a few times.

Just sharpened the blades on the mower, took lots of leverage to get the nuts off. So now I'm waiting for the grass to finally start growing.

One thing that I haven't been able to track down is the friggin' manual. Not on Toro's site, and the WH manual Yahoo group is unfathomable. Do I have to sign up for 10 groups just to find the manual? Well, there is probably a reason for that arrangement. Where do you find a manual for a model 21-10K806 ser#35962? With that maybe I can find the answer to some other questions, like how to adjust the idle. It just stalls when the throttle is pushed down, runs good at higher power settings.

The bagger has a handle attached to a rod that goes over the bags. Is it supposed to have some sort of flag to direct the leaves/grass into the closer bag?

th_WHunderthehoodVGA.png

As you can see, a tie wrap was used to keep the battery in place. Is there a better way?

Is it possible to turn the deck into a mulching mower?

th_MowerDeckVGA.png

These VGA images seem small on my screen.

Hope to meet some friendly WH folk soon.

Yours, JG

Shuboxlover

As you can see, a tie wrap was used to keep the battery in place. Is there a better way?

I have used my fair share of "zip ties" to secure a battery now and again....not to mention a lot of other things :thumbs:

:D Looks like you have a very capable tractor for your yard!!! :wh:

Horse'n Around

Howdy :wh: Congratulations you picked up a nice Horse there :thumbs:

John

dgjks6

First, you did good with $450 for a running tractor with a deck and bagger.

The bad news is that you have a 37 inch deck that does not convert to a true mulching deck. As far as I know only the 42 inch decks had a mulching insert. The good news is that a well adjusted 37 inch deck gives the best cut I have ever used. But adjusting it can be tricky.

As far as the manuals, I too have tried the yahoo groups thing and have never been able to get a copy of a manual. I never mentioned it because I thought it was just me.

To adjust the throttle, go to the kohler website and you can download the manual for the magnum 10 engine. I have never read the magnum manual, but I just rebuilt a kohler k series 8hp and the manual gave instructions on how to adjust the throttle.

There are a ton of experts here. Post questions and someone will usually be by to answer them.

Oh, and I almost forgot - the 37 inch deck needs special blades - a "high lift" blade to use the bagger correctly.

and

:thumbs:

Irv

:thumbs: Here's where to get the manual. The grass and leaves don't seem to go into the closer bag until the other is pretty full on mine. 310-8 is a great machine and will do just about anything u need and is good on gas.

corn53

:thumbs: and the 310 is a great cutter. Have the same setup as u for grass duty.

tunahead72

JG,

First, :D , lots of good people here!

Very nice machine you've got there -- is that a custom seat cover? :D

I can help you with a couple of your questions.

Manuals can be a problem, Toro usually likes to charge you for them if they're even available. In your particular case, the Toro web site gives you part numbers for an operators manual and a parts catalog, but won't let you actually purchase either of them. :wh: Maybe somebody else here has one?

There is a link on the Toro site (also available here somewhere) for a transmission repair manual. It's a bit dated (last revised Apr. 1982), but I don't think there's anything more current (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). Your trans. is very similar to the 8-speeds addressed in Section V of that manual. Very useful reference if you ever need to tear into your trans., as are a whole series of entertaining threads on this forum. :thumbs:

Whcih brings me to parts diagrams, which are available on the Toro site, and which I've found to be hugely useful, both for part numbers and just to see how things fit together. They're also available (and sometimes even more logical & understandable) on PartsTree.com, JacksSmallEngines.com, etc.

Your battery should sit in a plastic tray, and should be held down by a hold-down assembly that consists of a rod that lays on top of the battery, and two J-shaped hooks. The bottoms of the hooks fit into a couple of holes you'll see in the metal platform that the battery sits on, and the tops are connected to the top rod with a couple of washers & nuts. You may be able to find something that works for you at a local auto parts store.

About the idle, what dgjks6 said.

Good luck, and have fun!

mavfreak

rmaynard

You and I are practically neighbors. I am right up the road near Westminster. :wh: Anything that I can do for you, give me a shout.

VinsRJ

gwest_ca

One thing that I haven't been able to track down is the friggin' manual. Not on Toro's site, and the WH manual Yahoo group is unfathomable. Do I have to sign up for 10 groups just to find the manual? Well, there is probably a reason for that arrangement. Where do you find a manual for a model 21-10K806 ser#35962? With that maybe I can find the answer to some other questions, like how to adjust the idle. It just stalls when the throttle is pushed down, runs good at higher power settings.

Yours, JG

Since I mess around with the Yahoo manuals Groups perhaps I can help.

The 1989 310-8 is not well documented at Toro. With bits and pieces of info it appears the M10 Kohler engine used has a spec number of 461521 but they in fact used 2 different charging systems before and after engine serial number 1919902922 all with the same spec number. That does not happen very often. Toro did give the 2 engines different part numbers 112207 and 117254.

Post your engine serial number and how your headlamps work. Does the engine have to be running for them to light or will they work with the engine not running, key and headlamp switch on? With this info one should be able to find the correct wiring diagrams.

You can download the 1990 manual for the 310-8 from

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Use 31-10K801 for a model number and the word none for a serial number.

The only difference I see between 1989 and 1990 other than possibly the wiring is the 1989 has 4 pinion gears in the transmission differential and the 1990 has 8 pinions.

If you join the 1st manuals Group it has a searchable Database Table with +9000 entries. Enter the 21-10K806 model number and see what comes up. Don't try printing the Table because it is well over 1000 pages.

If anyone one else has a 310-8 post your tractor model and serial number and the Kohler engine spec and serial number and perhaps we can nail this one down.

Garry

JC 1965

:wh: Hello and :thumbs:

tunahead72

Brian,

Thanks for this link, it looks like the manual for the 1986 model year 300 and 400 series, correct? When I bought my '86 310-8 (new), the manual the dealer gave me was for a slightly newer model, probably an '87 with the Magnum engine and electronic ignition (as opposed to the K-series with points/condenser on mine). It's caused some confusion over the years, so it's nice to have what I think is the proper manual. :thumbs:

And Garry, are you interested in collecting information on ALL 310-8's? If so, I'd be happy to add my machine to the mix.

JG, you still here, got that idle squared away yet? :wh:

mcwh1950

JG I got the same 1989 310-8 my serial number is. 21-10k801. 38311. Yes I do have the operator's manual part number 810569r1. What would you like to know out of it. If you don't mind my I ask what is your deck model number. :thumbs:

JoeMonag

Jg, I have an '88 310-8 I was able to get the Operators and Parts manual from toro, when I bought it 4 years ago. If you have any questions I would be glad to answeer them. My are photo copies from Toro. According to my records they use the same spec. Magnum 10 hp engine. You can conatact me at: JoeMonag@aol.com. Joe in Norton, MA

gwest_ca

And Garry, are you interested in collecting information on ALL 310-8's? If so, I'd be happy to add my machine to the mix.

Sure. All models in fact. When I see a model and serial number posted I copy them to a Database Table in

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/

If you don't know how to use a Table there is a file in the Files about 3 or 4 down that explains how you can manipulate the data and view all +3000 entries on one page sorted any way you find useful.

Another bit of useful info is the product's build date. A good example is at the start of 1985 production until build date up to and including 5051 they were using set screws 909848 and 909862 that were too soft and would not stay tight. This was corrected on 5052 for the 200-Series mower decks, 07-06BX01 rear bagger, 200 300 and 400 series steering shaft collar, and 300 and 400-Series drive pulley set screws. All the product before 5052 were to have the set screws replaced but did that actually happen? 5051 is the 51st day of 1985 - Wednesday February 20 so there was about 5 months of 1985 product affected. The date of change is all that is listed in the service bulletin so have no idea at what serial numbers the change was made. Some day we may figure it out.

Garry

rmaynard

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals

Not to hijack this thread, but I have been to the Yahoo manual group many times. I consider myself pretty good at figuring things out, but I have yet to be able to find a manual, or even how to get to it. :thumbs:

I know I am doing something wrong, but it should not be that difficult.

I guess that's why MyWheelHorse.com was created with easy indexing. :wh:

wheelhorse656

Hello!!! :thumbs:

Ginge

Welcome to this wonderful Helpful website mate!! :thumbs:

mcwh1950

Garry my 310- 8 is as following.

M-number 21-10k806

Engine number m105

Spec number 461533

Serial munber 1907204553

Head light work with tractor off and key turn to run.

I have the operator manual part number 810569r1 and hope it is the right book for my tractor. Hope this help you some.

Forgot to add build date munber. 9097

boovuc

Welcome to Redsquare! :thumbs:

For the person who asked, the seat cover is the same as I ordered from Wally World for my 416-8. Even has a pocket in the back. Cheaper than repairing the broken vinyl!

I love my 310-8. It is a great mower and doesn't chew a lot of gasoline!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

gwest_ca

Garry my 310- 8 is as following.

M-number 21-10k806

Engine number m105

Spec number 461533

Serial munber 1907204553

Head light work with tractor off and key turn to run.

I have the operator manual part number 810569r1 and hope it is the right book for my tractor. Hope this help you some.

Forgot to add build date munber. 9097

Thanks for the info.

You just added a new dimension to the mystery. The 461533 spec number does not show up at Toro anywhere.

Your engine serial number is 1907204553 with a 15 amp charging system.

The service bulletin on engine usage states the charging system last used the 3amp at Kohler serial 1919902922 using spec number 461521 and WH engine part number 112207.

The service bulletin on engine usage states the charging systems went from 3amp to 15 amp at Kohler serial 1919902923 using spec number 461521 and WH engine part number 117254.

If the wiring diagram in your 810569R1 manual shows the headlamps getting the power from a battery circuit and not a direct circuit from the engine stator you have the correct diagram. I can not find a stator listed for your 461533 spec but did find the 15 amp regulator listed at Kohler.

This is a start - a few more tractor and engine numbers should help. The early 1989 310-8's may have used the 1988 810500R1 manual but have never seen it either.

The 9097 build date is Friday April 7, 1989.

Garry

can whlvr

:thumbs: one thing about the carb,an adjustment might help but it may need to come off and have a good cleaning,if it sat too long they can get gummed up,i think you got a good deal these days,every one i go to see the people want a fortune for run down machines

skeggordon

:wh: Hello fellow WH fans. Thanks for the loads of info and tips on my newly acquired 310-8. You guys are great. Would have written last night but I was putting the Attach-a-matic mower deck back on. It will go a lot quicker next time! And now I'm ready for that grass that's starting to get a little too tall.

Looked for my engine model and serial number, but the numbers were either faded or rubbed off. Dang! It does have the electronic ignition feature, so it must be one of the later ones. Also tried my lights, they don't come on at all. But now I have a manual thanks to Brian (KB9LOR) in Columbus and Garry (gwest_ca), hats off you guys. Looking at the electrical diagram and manual was able to find the fuse to check, especially since the voltmeter is also not working. Also, where is the build date found? Once found I can supply that bit of data to Garry.

Hi there Smitty (mcwh1950), my deck number is 05377SC01, ser. # 83457. Nice to know folks are out there using the same machine.

Hello Ed from Phoenixville! The seat cover came with the mower, probably cause the vinyl not perfect anymore. Someone later on in the thread identified it, amazing. I think my battery was replaced by one larger than stock, and it hangs over the metal platform too far for the J-shaped hooks to reach. It does sit on a plastic tray. The tie wraps will do until I can track down a better hold down assembly. Don't have the idle dialed in yet, probably this weekend. Will be cleaning the carburetor too, it doesn't seem too hard to do. (OT: I used to have a old Lawn Boy push mower, must have cleaned that carburetor at least two dozen times. My new Toro push mower is nice, but weighs a ton compared to the old 2-cycle LB.)

Nice to hear that I didn't pay too much. It does need a paint job, there are some rust spots, and the paint is pretty faded. This is why I may have to get another WH, so I can be using one while fixing up the other. How's that for rationalizing? :thumbs:

Hi Bob (rmaynard), good to know you're nearby. And even closer to Sykesville, where I'm working now. Last summer a fellow in Frederick had a WH get together. Now that I have one, could go to the next one if it happens again. Then we could talk about possible improvements to the Yahoo manuals group. Wouldn't want all that hard work to be poorly utilized.

Will chime in again soon! :D

Yours, Jay Gordon