Sign in to follow this  
fireman

My most incredible deal (steal) ever!

fireman

Some of you guys may have seen the 1970 112 with the Johnson Model 10 loader I bought. The tractor needed a ton of work so I started to look for a replacement tractor to mount the loader on. I wanted something a little bigger than the 112. I searched CL, Ebay, etc. but most JD's I found were either to expensive, to far, or needed to much work. I was going to modify the loader subframe and put it on either the C-195 or GT-14 but decided against hacking it up.

Well low and behold I found something on CL and couldn't believe my eyes. Local and stupid cheap. I sent a response figuring it was gone. Turns out the guy had only listed the ad 2 minuted prior to my email and I was the first to respond. He later told me he got like 30 emails after mine within a half an hour. Well here it is:

1981 317 with like new 48" deck, full hydraulic 54" plow, brand new set of chains in the bag, brand new tires at the end of last year and steel wheel weights on the rear. This thing only has 555 hours and runs perfect. Unfortunately it has the series I engine in it but with such low hours and being in the great shape it is, I'm not worried. Now I just have to restore the loader, remove the oil tank and controls from it, and put on quick connect fittings so I can plug it into the front ports.

Also came with complete service and operators manuals for the tractor, deck and plow.

Almost forgot the best part, It was only $650.00 for all of it :wh:

To bad I didn't get any pictures of it towing SteveBo's C-81 today up the hill out of his backyard for him :thumbs:

100_1624.jpg

100_1625.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1626.jpg

100_1628.jpg

100_1629.jpg

stevebo

It really is a clean tractor however it NEVER was at my house in my yard pulling one of my :D 's around :wh: :thumbs:

zieg72

You got an AWESOME deal. My brother had one and I used it once. His had a 18 hp on it as the KT 17 started knocking because of his hilly piece of property. Congrats

Kelly

Heck you can sell the deck and blade for about what you paid for the tractor, Nice score.

dclarke

It's good to be in the right place at the right time, great deal. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Nice find. The 317s are probably the most underrated tractor in the JD line, due to the KT17 Series I failures.

BTW, the 48 inch blade is probably a 54 inch blade as I don't think Deere made a 48 for the 300 series (I could be wrong). You can find more info over on www.weekendfreedommachines.com. They also have a model info section.

Coadster32

Really nice p/u Jeff. :thumbs: Hope it works well for you.

VinsRJ

Nice score! I'm Green with envy :thumbs:

mavfreak

I would have jumped on that also!

I have been looking for a 318 for some time but I would have gone with the 317!

Very nice tractor!

6wheeler

Great deal there. I have been looking for 1 of those myself. Maybe a deal like that will befall me as well. I'll be patient. But, thats one nice looking tractor. I can't wait to see the loader on it.

truckin88

amazing deal....Congrats!

TT

The 317s are probably the most underrated tractor in the JD line, due to the KT17 Series I failures.

I thought it was because of how hard they are to steer. :thumbs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does look good, Jeff.......... for a green one. :wh: :D

Kelly

Ya a 318 has power steering, that would be nice with a loader, so I guess you need to send the 317 to me and keep looking for one with power steering.

By the way I do have a 317 I'm parting out right now if you need something, probably not yours looks nice.

stevebo

I believe Jeff plans on adding a ball bearing washer in the steering spindles to help it steer easier with the loader on it.

T-Mo

The 317s are probably the most underrated tractor in the JD line, due to the KT17 Series I failures.

I thought it was because of how hard they are to steer. :thumbs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does look good, Jeff.......... for a green one. :wh::D

If you're comparing the steering on a 317 to a 318, then yes it's hard to steer. But it's no more harder to steer than a 140, a 300, or a 316 that preceded the 317. I have drove both a 317 and a 316 and both steered the same.

With it's twin cylinder engine, dual hydraulics and many attachments (attachments from any closed frame hydrostatic JD would work), the 317 was a very capable machine. The integral hitches that were available for the 120/140, 300/312/316K, the sf 110/112 and the 200 series fit on the 314/317 which allowed for many attachments to be shared across the board. With the dual hydraulics, you could run Deere's 54 inch snow blade and angled it and lifted it with the hydraulics. The early oil prone failures of the KT17 Series I hurt the 317s reputation and people still shy away from it.