Sign in to follow this  
ArnoldZiffel

Which tractor is better for rototilling?

ArnoldZiffel

Hey,

I'm new to gardening.

I've got a 315-8 and a 520xi. I own a new, never installed rototiller for the 520xi.

A friend has an almost new rototiller that he'd sell me for the 315-8. I've got a buyer for the xi rototiller if I choose to sell it.

Which tractor/rototiller would be the better set-up for small residential vegetable and flower gardening?

Opinions please: tractor weights? hydro vs. manual transmission? speed control?

Do these, or other factors, sway you if you were making this choice?

Thanks.

Arnold Z.

can whlvr

i have tilled with a hydro and an 8 speed,i like the hydro,it can be slowed to just the right speed,yes the 8 speed is very good too,can you make any money on the 520 tiller to help pay for the 315 tiller?but both machines will till exceptionally well,so really it boils down to money,the 315 will use less fuel though

ArnoldZiffel

Hey,

Thanks for your thoughts. The money works out even -- I'd sell the xi tiller and use that money to buy the 315-8 tiller.

You zeroed in on one part of my question: speed control, I've never roto-tilled anything and wondered about this.

What about the xi's heavier weight? A good thing?

I'm interested in all opinions. I'd like to decide in the next day or two.

Thanks.

- Arnold Z.

farmer

Hello Arnold Z,

My opinion, even though at the moment I use a hydro for tilling, I'd say go to the manual 8 speed...when you put it in low 1 it stays there. Don't get me wrong, my hydro is nice for shunting around and picking heavy implements up but...some times my plot looks like the atlantic in winter, stop-start, stop-start. Very frustrating. As I say, JMO.

zieg72

The heavier the better especially if it is muddy. I would go with the larger tractor with the hydro. My 520H does the job just fine and if you already have the tiller/tractor seems like an obvious choice to me...

ArnoldZiffel

Hey,

Thanks for the additional responses.

Regarding the 520xi hydro, I have to admit I've never tried its "cruise control". So I have a question:

If I place the 520xi in Low Range and set the cruise control at a "creeper speed" would that be too fast to rototill? NOTE: My rototilling work will be just to freshen up earth that I've previously plowed.

What do you all think?

- Arnold Z.

ArnoldZiffel

Hey,

Yesterday we decided to connect the tiller to the 520xi for the first time. (I decided not to put a tiller on the 315-8).

Played with the set-up last night. Had a great time. Our vegetable garden area looks super.

The tiller on the 520xi works like a champ. Was able to creep along steady in low range and do a nice job. (As nice as a newbie can do). Built-up my gardening confidence a little.

Thanks for the opinions and advice given

- Arnold Z.

zieg72

Great to hear but :thumbs: