Sign in to follow this  
dmoore

Grass cutting

dmoore

Ok here's something I never quite understood...when I would cut grass with my 78 C-101, 42" side discharge my right foot & ankle would get covered in grass clippings..now I did not ever have the deflector installed but recently found the one that came with my new deck I purchased about 10 years ago...so I installed it this weekend...my question is...will this keep the grass off of my right foot?? Anyone else ever experience this?? :thumbs:

can whlvr

yes,its usually the wind that blows it back,i leave all the deflectors off mine because they plug up if the lawn is wet or thick

dmoore

"they plug up if the lawn is wet or thick" That's exactly why I left it off when I purchased the new deck....I had that problem with the original one...oh well,any grass cutting will be very limited from now on and it will be dry prior to! D

GlenPettit

Less of the blow-by sticking grass when the grass is cut drier, also, if you chop it up smaller and throw it out further will help reduce that; (the advantage of also using 'Gator Blades' on your deck to double-cut).

Michigan Glen

tunahead72

Less of the blow-by sticking grass when the grass is cut drier, also, if you chop it up smaller and throw it out further will help reduce that; (the advantage of also using 'Gator Blades' on your deck to double-cut).

Glen,

I'm no expert here, so bear with me....

I've always been under the impression that Gator Blades are mulching blades, and should be used with a cover over the discharge chute. So, are you suggesting they can also be used with the chute open? If so, I might consider investing in a set.

GlenPettit

They are mulching blades; the 'wings' on the back of the blade help suspend the grass blades in the air for a second & third cut and helps with throwing grass further out the chute/opening.

The Chute Cover is for safety; to direct the grass clippings out and low (especially for rocks and objects, which could bounce and get thrown back up at you). With the discharge cover off, the blades are slightly exposed and could hit something or someones foot when running. That chute sticks out and is a pain, but it is there for safety. (That's why I like the rear discharge decks).

I like using both the Gator blades and the original blades at the same time, positioned at a 90 degree angle, so you have six blades on and 12 cutting edges, with the Gator blades above the original blades. This will give you just short 1/2" clippings which quickly disappear, and usually it's only the lower original blades that need to be sharpened. Gator blades cost about the same as replacement blades, google "Gator Blades" for more info and sizes.

Brush Slip-Plate (black graphite, $12/qt) on your cleaned under-deck in the Spring, this will greatly reduce even wet grass from sticking to your deck (which would cause rusting - it's that "grass juice acid fermentation" that speeds rusting).

Good Luck,

Michigan Glen

tunahead72

Thanks for the information, Glen, a lot there I didn't know! :thumbs: