Sign in to follow this  
scv85

GT14 FEL buy or build??

scv85

So I've gone back and forth about a plow for my 70 GT14, I've decided it wont be as practical as I would like. I'm interested in learning more about front end loaders for my GT14. Are there any out there to puchase or am I looking at getting plans and building something?

wallfish

Loaders do come up for sale but not that often. They are also desirable so the cost goes up but most likely still cheaper than building one. But if you do build one you can spend the money over time while you work on it and build it to fit your tractor. Plus you get the satisfaction of building it yourself. You could also build a dozer blade into a bucket for moving light loads.

scv85

I was kind of leaning towards building, that way it's not a huge chunk of money all at once. Your FEL and hoe look great! Did you get plans through PF? I was checking out there webpage and saw spindle upgrades as well. Is the upgrade a necessity?

can whlvr

if you do the loader you should upgrade the spindles as they take alot of weight,then you can use the bolt on rims on the front ,or just upgrade to the wheelhorse stle,1 inch spindles

wallfish

I was kind of leaning towards building, that way it's not a huge chunk of money all at once. Your FEL and hoe look great! Did you get plans through PF? I was checking out there webpage and saw spindle upgrades as well. Is the upgrade a necessity?

The FEL is a factory ARK loader and the hoe is PF Engineering design. The front spindles are what WH called a HD spindle. Basically the same 3/4" spindle with a brace welded at the bend. Very easy to duplicate if you can build a loader. I now have the swept forward axel with 1" spindles and the reduction steering parts from a 520H and just need to get out there and do the upgrade. I have some basic loader plans if you want to check them out. PM me your email address if interested.

scv85

I looked on partstree and it looks like the GT14 only offer the one spindle. I pulled the cap and measured it and they are 3/4" but seem like a fairly stout design. They also seem like it would be easy to upgrade to the 1" design sold by northerntool.

wallfish

Here's a thread by boatman who was doing a loader on his GT-14.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...&hl=gt14+loader

You can also use the "search" button up at the top and find a couple other threads for GT14 Loader

scv85

Excellent link! I'll keep an eye on it.

I did search tractor supply and it looks like it would be a $100 upgrade for 2 spindles, 2 hub kits and 2 8x3.75 4 lug wheels. That's an upgrade I'd consider even without building a loader.

Wallfish, thanks for the basic plans. I was talking to the other half about the loader idea and she doesn't wanting me spending money on one right this second, so maybe I can get the approval on getting the plans for now. Maybe by the time I get everything together to start the build, a nice ARK 500 will come my way for sale for a $1000. I've got a grand right now, but not sure if that will buy me one.

scv85

Thanks for the link. I really think that subframe is simple yet practical, but from what I've seen and will do, is to make the brackets go around the rear axle with a bolt or pin on top. Otherwise he has done a great job!