Sign in to follow this  
Deuce

312-8 brake springs

Deuce

I trying to put my 312-8 back together. Bought it new in 1987 and it needed some help so I tore it apart. The only thing is that I took it apart over a year ago and I'm just now getting it back together. Now I forgot how the springs go. Can someone please show me a picture of theirs. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

Here's some pic to help.

march25pics003.jpg

march25pics001.jpg

march25pics002.jpg

tunahead72

Deuce,

I have a 310-8, probably very similar. I can't tell you how your springs are supposed to go right now, but I'll go out and take some photos later today and post them here if you don't get a better response.

Nice looking machine, by the way, hope it comes together for you!

dobeleo

If you email pics, could you send them to me too, want to make sure I did it correctly on my 312-A. Started mine over a year ago too

Dan

Shorewood, IL

meadowfield

the short dirty spring looks like PTO spring??

The small diameter one (2.5") should be the handbrake lever tension - it goes in top holes you can see on your pics, that holds the lever against the stepped teeth in the brake link.

The other one is the brake release spring that hold the pedal and bad in the off position. That fits in the lower holes

Odd that I don't recall fitting this one on mine :thumbs:

...but I must have, as the pedal returns when I take my foot off. :wh:

mark

tunahead72

Deuce,

As promised, here are some photos of the brake springs on my 310-8 (the parking brake is engaged in these pictures).

I believe Mark (meadowfield) is correct on all counts. The skinny spring in your pictures is the parking brake return spring, and attaches to the hole on the parking brake lever and the top hole on the metal plate in front of it (not sure what that's called). The main part of this spring is about 2-1/2" long.

The longer of the two fatter springs is the brake return spring, which goes from the hole on the stepped part of the brake linkage to the lower hole on the same plate. Its main section is about 1-5/8" long.

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

The other spring in your picture (on the right) does appear to be the PTO spring. I meant to look more carefully, but I believe it attaches to a cotter pin on the PTO clutch rod, and to a bracket just in front of it. In any event, here's a couple of photos of that as well, in case you need it. This spring is shorter, main section about 1" long.

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

Hope this helps!

And Dan (dobeleo), does this work for you also?

• Like 1

meadowfield

Deuce,

As promised, here are some photos of the brake springs on my 310-8 (the parking brake is engaged in these pictures).

I believe Mark (meadowfield) is correct on all counts....

It's nice to be right for once !!

I'm 250 miles away from my horse so couldn't send pics, but I thought I knew what I was on about. :thumbs:

mark

Deuce

Thanks guys, your great! I think my trouble started with me trying to use the wrong hole for the brake handle bolt. Got it together last night and works great. I'll post some pictures when I'm through with it. Like I said, I've had this tractor for a long time. Bought it in Bardstown Ky. I now live in Florida and really don't have a use for it but I have a lot of things I don't need but if I do I got IT!!!!

tunahead72

I think my trouble started with me trying to use the wrong hole for the brake handle bolt.

Good grief, I didn't even notice that, or that your handle was actually on BACKWARDS! And you needed to rotate the bell crank backwards also, so the teeth/steps ended up on top? :thumbs:

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. :wh:

Nice looking bike, by the way, what is it?

Deuce

I just got through building it. It's a frame from Canada, a outfit called Maxium Metal Works. The engine is an S&S 113 super sidewinder with ist. Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, wrapped. Headwinds lights. I could go on and on but all in all it took about 2 years to build. Did all the welding and painting while laided up in a wheel chair after falling off my roof!

It's candy apple red on top of a silver base with solar gold on top of that. Black pearl flames and lots of clear and a lot of buffing.

Thanks