Sign in to follow this  
Horse-Drawn

A friendly disagreement

Horse-Drawn

Ok... Not sure if this is the right category for this, but it did start with the tractor. :wh:

My neighbor and I were swapping "oh yeah, well mine can..." comparisons between my B-80 that I do everything with around my house & woods, and his slightly higher powered 10HP (but less visually striking) green thingy.

It escalated to me upping the challenge to - being able to spin up my 3 blade 60" "yellow deck" with my B-80 via the mule drive and a belt. My logic is that I can easily spin the main drive pulley on the deck with my hand. Therefore, if I feather the PTO engagement until deck RPMs are up, my engine won't stall. His green one has an electric PTO. My logic is that his will stall instantly and mine is then, by default, better. :thumbs: He thinks WH's are junk & I think he's depending on the green paint too much.

Apparently we're going to try this tomorrow because he just won't let it go. This could get interesting.

Anyone have an expert opinion to throw into the fire?

Kelly

It should spin it, now if you had it hooked up and tried to cut grass, that might be another story.

littleredrider

My mom has a JD425 with a 48" deck, if th RPMs aren't high enough while you engage the electric clutch, it will stall the motor. In case anyone doesn't know JD, it's a 25 horse engine. Will also stall at low Rs if too much hydro pedal is given.

mavfreak

My neighbor jokingly said to me when I brought home my first wheel horse, "there is a reason they quit making them". On Saturday I was plowing the garden and he came up to me and said "you know every time you pull out one of your tractors I'm amazed at what you can do with it" I jokingly said "there is a reason they quit making them"

He has a troy built with a 48" and a 20hp briggs on it. My commando 800 would spin the deck but not mow with it like his can but there is no way his tractor can do what mine 8hp WH can

stevasaurus

What is it about those Green guys that think the horses are junk?? :thumbs: :wh:

wh500special

What is it about those Green guys that think the horses are junk?? :thumbs::wh:

Same thing it is with us red guys who think green paint is over rated. :D

Years ago on yahoo didn't Ed Mayhew talk about mounting a 60" 520-style deck to a 7 hp B-60 as a fun "what if" scenario?

Steve

Horse-Drawn

Last summer, the only thing that stopped me from mounting my 54" as a front deck on my b-80 was the fact that dinner was ready. After thinking about it, now, if nobody buys/trades me for my Cub in the classifieds, I might try it this spring. It might take some ratio adjusting to get the torque to mow grass, but it would look cool :thumbs:

...or just take the belt off the hydro and tow it around the yard :wh:

brandonozz

I aquired my first horse this winter and used it to clear some 3' tall weeds, vines and grass from my areas I was going to start some food plots. My tractor is a C 120 with a 36" rear discharge deck. This tractor did an outstanding job clearing the areas and at a much higher ground speed than I thought it would. I'm going to work the horse quite a bit in the next year to get 1 to 1.5 acres "plantable" but after that I think it will keep up with the maintenance work each season pretty well. I'm happy with my small investment.

Horse-Drawn

Unfortunately, tonights "chest pounding" exercise is postponed a day or two due to Mother Nature.

We have 30mph sustained winds & :wh: 2-3" of SNOW & ICE :thumbs: inbound for tonight.

...I need to more to the opposite climate. 9 months of warm & 3 of cold.

72morph

Ask neihgbor when was the last Wheel Horse ad he saw.No wonder they can still sell JD. :thumbs:

Horse-Drawn

Good point... The only ones I ever remember were either in magazines or posters in the 70's. But, I was young then & not shopping for power equipment :thumbs: