Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Drainage

B-8074

I'm getting ready to completely redo my lawn. I'm looking for some input on drainage. Here is what I have planned.

1. Rent sod cutter and remove old lawn. At Least what is left.

2. Have tons of soil delivered

3. Get lots of seat time regrading the lawn :thumbs:

4. More seat time rolling and prepping for seed (might do sod).

Now here is where I'm looking for input. My garage does not have any gutters at this time but will before I do the dirt work. I want to run the downspouts underground. Have any of you installed a dry well? I have houses on both sides of me so I won't be able to just run the drain underground and let it empty. I hope I'm making sense.

IthacaJeff

Before adding in a dry well, any chance of putting in some rain storage that can

then be used for watering, or even non-drinking house water? You will still need

overflow drainage, but perhaps not so much.

Jeff in Enfield

puddlejumper

I like jeffs Idea of a cistern for watering the yard or even inside use which can be done with a septic tank and then for overflow depending on size of garage you could put in a 100 feet or so of chamber (field bed) If you are crunched for space a 10x10x10 hole filled with river rock will hold a lot of water. You would need to figure surface area of your roof x however much rainfall to see how much capacity you need. Cover your rock with Typar or a geotextile of some sort to keep dirt from filtering down and filling the voids in your rock. Cover with just enough dirt to grow grass and no more than a foot. Alot of the water will evaporate (perk) out the top not just soak into the ground. Would consider a standpipe of some sort in rockbed to take care of overflow during heavy rain periods. And a strawberry patch on top since they take alot of warer anyway.

B-8074

Thanks for the ideas. I like the rain barrel idea. I am tight on space, no room for the strawberry patch. Thanks again

puddlejumper

OK, so I over did it. But the water is draining somewhere now. can you pipe it under ground and through the street curb so it drains down the street. Or would the powers that be allow you to tap it directly into the storm sewers under the edge of your street if available.

B-8074

The house is tied into the city sewer lines right now. However the borough is in the process of upgrading all the lines. So we will no longer be allowed to keep that way. The cutters on the house will be ran underground and out to the street. The garage has no gutter and just runs off and hits the ground. It has done some heavy erosion. I just don't want all the new soil and grass seed to wash away on the first rain.