Sign in to follow this  
jcmx515

Need some help with my first wheel horse Restorati

jcmx515

Hello, I just picked up a wheel horse the other day and Im really excited to start the resto but i need some help from some of the experts here. I bought, from what the sticker says, is a charger 12 Automatic. The model # is 1 0400 6, and the serial # is 811528. Id like to know what year it is and maybe a good place to get replica decals for everything, Ive really liked the look of theses old wheel horse tractors and I finally got the opportunity to do a restoration on one. Id also like to know how well this model did back in the day, was there alot made, was it popular, or is it a rarity amongst the brand. Any information you guys or gals could help me out with would be a real help. I look forward to asking many question through out my restoration and Ill be sure to add plenty of pics along the way. Here are some pics of the tractor I just bought, If you see anything missing or not model/year correct, please let me know, Ive done quite a few restoration projects before but never on a wheel horse and Id like to get this correct. Thanks Jesse

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

tbbahner

Contrats. Looks like a nice straight old piece. The experts will let you know of the rarity, but I don't think they're that scarce. The seat is a very nice addition. Have fun, you can't have just one though, once you find out how well built they are.

Tom B

mavfreak

:thumbs:

corn53

:thumbs: Nice machine!!!

dpm2000bolt

Have fun, you can't have just one though, once you find out how well built they are.

Tom B

first :wh:

second they are like ruffles... (i think( well the chip you can't have just one))

:D are a great machine and alot of the times I will have both mine out working on a project..

what is funny is notice not many have only one tractor list in the signature :thumbs:

massey

:thumbs: You.ve got a 1971 Charger 12 there. As for decals, go with the vinyl guy. He's a member here and does A1 work.

www.redoyourhorse.com/servlet/StoreFront

JC 1965

:thumbs: First of all, Hello and :D Good looking tractor, I'm not sure if the dash panel is original. I was thinking they used the pull out throttle and choke instead of the up and down kind on your tractor. But I could be wrong, I,m sure one of the pros will chime in soon and let you know for sure. Good luck with your restoration. :wh:

kthack657

first :wh: second, the charger 12 are pretty common. I am in the process of restoring one myself, I had to do an engine swap, but other than that he runs great. looks like you have a great project on your hands, and like the others said, once yuo get one, they just seem to multiply. between my husband and myself we have:

C100

Charger 12

Raider 12

D250

Lawn Ranger

:thumbs: we have one more possible, but as of now they are all works in progress. The people on here are great and have been helping us with every problem under the sun. If you are in the Area, there is a get together in Vincentown, NJ on April 30th, and I know for a fact that several members will be in attendance. if you cant make that, you should try to make it out to the Convention the end of June in Gettysburg, PA!!

Horse'n Around

Howdy and :thumbs: Thats a nice Charger, Its going to look sweet when its all done, it should be a blast to fix up.

John

Duff

Hi, Jesse, and :wh: !

Great to have you aboard! Nice looking machine you've got yourself there!

Lots of very useful info and terrific people here. Depending on your skill level (or in my case, lack of same!) folks here will walk you through almost every step of the process as you go. You've already caught on to the fact that we LOVE pictures around here!

Glad you found us!

~Duff :thumbs:

farmer

Hello and :thumbs: Jesse,

you have one of the "named" horses that :wh: produced from the late '60s to the early '70s, apparently they were named after US football teams except the Commando which nobody seems to know the origin of. (Only recently found this out myself) enjoy tinkering. :D

can whlvr

:thumbs: good straight tractor you got tot start,any horizontal shaft wheelhorse is a great machine to rebuild there is a function here that you can search old posts,type in charger and you should get lots of good reading about your tractor,or any other horse you choose to search,also a great classified section with a wanted section also

VinsRJ

:thumbs:

smoreau

Nice tractor and :wh::D :thumbs: