Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

my wife loves me, she really loves me

dgjks6

So I get home today and my wife says get in the car. I have no idea whats going on and I get in the car. She drives me down the street to a house that has a cardboard sign outfront the says "70's wheel horse for sale". She was taking me to look at a tractor. We knock on the door and the owner comes out and walks us around back. He has a 1976 c-160 auto for sale. This is my next dream tractor. It has a single cylinder kohler with a hydro. He bought it new and the hydro went bad this year and the dealer wanted $1000 to rebuild the hydro, so he got a simplicity. I want to rebuild a hydro so I can figure out how they work, but right now I have too many projects and too little space, so I tell the guy I will think about it. Then I look behind the barn and see a SB-421 that was in bad shape. A tree fell on it and he says all its good far is parts. So I ask him if I can get some parts off it. He says sure. So heres my haul:

DSCF7234.jpg

DSCF7235.jpg

I got a cracked transmission - with what I hope is 2 good axles, and hopefully a bunch of good gears inside. And two 12 inch rims with no rust. Both things I have been searching for.

JimD

Yep, she loves you all right! Now get back there and pick up that C-160!! :thumbs:

Shuboxlover

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the F are you waiting for?????? Go buy it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wh::thumbs: :D

corn53

:wh: What a woman!!! All I ever hear is dont bring anymore home!!! :thumbs:

Save Old Iron

I want to rebuild a hydro.

No you don't.

Let the adrenaline and testosterone come back down to normal levels.

Start reading everything you can about hydro theory and the incredibly small tolerances needed in these unit to allow acceptable performance. If that doesn't scare you off, you need a super clean, dirt and dust free environment so your $500 + rebuild will last past the next snowfall.

Take one apart for a lesson. These are relatively simple mechanical devices but demand incredible levels of precision fit and finish on internal parts. One small leak , one poor fit and you have internal leakage. In a high pressure hydraulic system, small internal leaks = big heat and big heat = hot, thin oil and eventual failure.

dclarke

Yep, she loves you all right! Now get back there and pick up that C-160!! :thumbs:

Go before she changes her mind, go now!!!! :wh:

squonk

My 76 C-160 has developed a hydro issue. It runs out of power,whines and the engine starts to bog down. The lift keeps working. I found a service bulletin on a broken snap ring on the hydro motor shaft. It would make sense somewhat as the pump seems to be "dead heading" as the hydro motor stops. I'm taking it to an old retired guy who has worked on these before. Hopefully the worst case is I have to get a used hydro motor.

Kelly

You know Kohler 16hp are great engines, you could turn that in to a 8 speed or just pull the engine and strip it for parts.

dgjks6

I considered taking both of them and stripping for parts. But, it pains me to see a solid horse, that even with a $1000 repair at the dealer, would outperform any of the new stuff made today.

Now the SB 421 he would probasbly give the rest of it to anyone who would come and get it. But it has few good parts left. The frame is bent, hood destroyed, and no rear and. It has the motor - which I almost took just to play with. Also, I almost took the front axle and tires so I could put 8 inch tires on the front of my 312.

So many choices and so little space.

Oh - and SOI - point taken. But it would still be neat to see the inside of one.

JC 1965

:thumbs: Wow!! all I can say is, DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER? :D Good luck with the tractor. Looks like you hit the jackpot, ( with the tractor and the wife. ) :wh: :D

whfan74

I say go for the 160 and don't be afraid to crack one open and learn. If the price is right you can swap in an 8 speed, which has previously been mentioned.

I would hate to think that someone would be too afraid to learn. If that happens we will cease to see progression!

Duff

I got a cracked transmission - with what I hope is 2 good axles, and hopefully a bunch of good gears inside.

And maybe a good pair of those really expensive proprietary ball bearings........!

Duff :thumbs: :wh:

rwilson

DUDE :thumbs::wh: . She took you to see that tractor for a reason. She wanted you to buy it. You need to go get it.

Irv

And who knows, maybe it's something simple. If the price is right get it.