Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

8 speed noise

Forest Road

Hello

I don't know whether or not this is normal. But when I'm driving my 312-8 I hear the gears churning and generating noise. Similar to an old truck w/ a manual tranny. just gears whining. I've never noticed it before. Is it normal? Am I concerned about nothing? And yes. There's plenty of oil in there.

Thanks

Kevin

B-8074

When was the oil changed last?

Forest Road

last year. I'm going to flush it w/ kero. Then throwing it on jacks and letting it run for a bit.

Forest Road

Flushed it. Drove it around a bit, jacked it up and let it spin for an hour. I heard a clicking sound the whole time. As well as some gears humming along. The only place I could vaguely hear a noisy bearing was in the front section w/ a steel rod and a screwdriver for a stethoscope. I think dad and I will be breaking it down. he could certainly use it to help him feel like his old self again.

Forest Road

Any tips for removing hubs? I have a 3 jaw puller on it. Plenty of heat. And now I'm down to spraying it w/ rust penetrant. Any additional hep would be great!

Raider12puller

Any tips for removing hubs? I have a 3 jaw puller on it. Plenty of heat. And now I'm down to spraying it w/ rust penetrant. Any additional hep would be great!

Have a puller that screws into the lug nut holes so the hubs dont break. Broken a few using the 3 jaw puller. If that doesnt work you could always get the BFH out :wh::thumbs: and when you get the hub off I would put never sieze on the axle before putting the hub back on.

sorekiwi

Dont try to hammer the hubs off - you stand a good chance of blowing the circlip off the other end of the axle, and if you are really unlucky it might take the end of the splines off with it. You can give the jacking bolt on the puller a smack or two though.

There is a ton of threads on hub removal. Some of them will have pics of another hub used as a puller with a big bolt through the middle.

Bad bearings can give you that gear whine under power. The bad bearing lets the gears move out of mesh just a little bit, and that will make them whine.

Forest Road

Thanks! Pretty sure there's a bum bearing in there. But there's a clicking sound when its in high range and any gear. Nothing in low range. So while I have it here at home It's coming apart.

Duff

Thanks! Pretty sure there's a bum bearing in there. But there's a clicking sound when its in high range and any gear. Nothing in low range. So while I have it here at home It's coming apart.

Please let me know if you find the source of the clicking sound. I've got the same thing in one of mine, although the tranny runs and shifts perfectly. :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

Forest Road

Well here we go! I have the tranny off and on the bench. The right hub came off easily. Now the left hub...... I made a puller w/ the right hub, 5/8 bolt and 5 5/16" bolts. And now I've got it soaking in Chrysler rust penetrant. Hopefully I can get a fine thread 5/8 bolt tomorrow.

Now onto the rest of the machine. I was going to do a half fast painting of the sheetmetal. No that I have the more than half of the thing apart I might as well go all the way. luckily my wife really likes me. Should be interesting.

Forest Road

I went out after dinner and gave it a couple turns with an 18" breaker bar. The hub to hub puller worked great!

040911_5322.jpg

Half way

040911_5323.jpg

Tranny split!

040911_5324.jpg

Tomorrows project: Take it apart and find the culprit!

Forest Road

Cole cooperated and went down on time. So I think I found the problem. Still need to get the pinion gears and shift rods out.

040911_5347.jpg

can whlvr

good time to catch it,before too much damage happens

stevasaurus

Nice job there. I noticed in one picture (the split halves pic) that you have the shallow half of the case on the top. Did you pull it apart like that??? May not matter at this point, but when you go to put it back together, you want to build the trans up in the shallow half. :thumbs:

Forest Road

Special thanks to Stevasaurus and dgjks6 for your demos. I just finished rebuilding my 8 speed. I'd consider it record time for a first timer. 1 1/2 hours and sober!!! Thanks

Now to get some good weather so I can finish painting the sheet metal.

stevasaurus

My pleasure Sir...for all the help I have received, it feels great when I can give back. :thumbs: I'll bet you cut 45 minutes off the next one with a little Rock-&-Rye. :D

Good show man. :wh: