Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

lots of smoke at startup

harleyjj

I have an 11hp briggs in my c111 and since I changed the oil and ran some seafoam through the tank I seem to be getting a ton of smoke at start up. oil level is correct and the smoke goes away after about a minute. any ideas?

rmaynard

What color is the smoke, black or gray/blue? Black would indicate rich burn, while gray/blue is burning oil.

can whlvr

not to bum you out but when my 10hp kohler did that same thing it was time for a rebuild,she smoked for about 60 seconds and then would clear up,but for me it was a sign of worn rings and cylinder,my rod let go finally and i was very lucky no other damage occured,a look in the cylinder would tell the truth

Martin

I have an 11hp briggs in my c111 and since I changed the oil and ran some seafoam through the tank I seem to be getting a ton of smoke at start up. oil level is correct and the smoke goes away after about a minute. any ideas?

ive noticed normally non smoking engines will put out grey/blue sometimes when running the seafoam through the fuel. this has happened several times until the seafoamed gas is run out and youre back to the regular gas. this was on older engines that im sure had a lot of use. just my experience.

martin

B-8074

You might want to check the breather.

harleyjj

How do I inspect the breather?

stevasaurus

Rex, I hope Don (from Canada) is wrong, but he could very well be right. 2 things...the Seafoam has cleaned up stuff and you are burning it. The Seafoam has cleaned up enough stuff to start burning oil. Rings, guides leaking now. One thing to check to find out which one it may be is to keep on eye on the spark plug. If it is burning clean, you may be OK. If it is looking like sludge, probably time for that rebuild.

That breather thing may be also responsible. I don't remember how to do it, but I remember reading some threads about it. Try a search in the engine section. :thumbs: