Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead

Major find....

Hammerhead

Wowsa, I lucked into a scarf of a lifetime! :D Picked up a descent original condition 500 Special last week! It's in pretty good shape, I cleaned it up quite a bit and added some parts off the shelf. I need some better front rims with some paint left on them. All else seems to be good. I have a box full of parts to put on it.

012.jpg

009-1.jpg

011.jpg

It took me a while to get ahold of this little gem, I traded a descent 701 to get it. I will keep this one in original condition as usual... :wh::thumbs: KJ

wheel horse tractor guy

You did real good i saw one of those in the lagc magazine and it look real sharp.That was a tractor they used in the indy 500's race to pull out damaged cars. Anyway good luck with yours hopefully i'll get a good score like that some day. I had a wheel horse 700 and the guy dummy who owed it cut it in half to do something with tractor pulling. It came with another tractor i bought so i sold the 700 o well. :thumbs:

dandan111

Was that on a indiana craigs list? If it was, I seen it,I have no room for anymore ,dang it!!

great tractor.

Coadster32

Look really nice! :thumbs: Good luck with it.

Kelly

The indy 500's are cool tractors, but were never used at the track, they were sold as a promotion for the race, here is a thread to read.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...hl=indy+tractor

On a side note, I have located another Charger with the white walls,(member here owns it) and another set of the white wall tires sold on ebay last year and brought pretty good money, so the total stands at 4 sets known to exist.

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :wh::D H/Head Wow what a find. And it looks like it is all there enjoy the ride. Gary B...............................

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice :D

You will get good traction with those narrow tires.

:wh: :thumbs:

Hammerhead

I added some more parts to it, the mower deck and I got the hard to find Techy diode plate and even rarer, plastic cover peice mounted back on it. It is in mint condition, off my parts shelf. :D:D Looks like this old WH is well on the way to a full recovery!026.jpg023-1.jpg

This is getting good! :wh: KJ

This tractor was not on CL but I got it from another WH collector, thanks Tim! I had the deal worked out for a few months but couldn't make the trade until recently. I had to keep that under my WH hat for way too long! :thumbs:

Brrly1

Boy Howdy, I bet I know of a couple different items on that "special shelf". I would just like to see that "special shelf". My bet is, it is pretty special. :thumbs:

:wh:

P.S. Keith with all of your scores here lately I almost want to move down to your area.

bewford

excellent find!! some guys have all the luck

Gene_S

Nice find for sure... :thumbs:

But why put the diode plate and cover on a manual start motor? Wasn't that for the charging system for the electric start motors?

And it even amazes more so many people think this was the tractor from the track. Even Kate from LAGC thinks these "500 Specials" were used at the track. She showed one on facebook she picked up and stated it was one from the track. Guess the name throws a lot of people.

JC 1965

Wow! great find, looks It's been well cared for. :thumbs:

dandan111

The one on craigs list was in the same condition as yours,not sure what

seat it had though. I like those 500s.

Gene_S

Hammerhead,

But why put the diode plate and cover on a manual start motor? Wasn't that for the charging system for the electric start motors?

Just is case you missed the question...

Ya Brrly1 I'm sure its very special... :thumbs:

Hammerhead

Yes Haasman you are correct sir! :wh: Only the electric start engines get the diode parts. :thumbs: Dang it, I thought I was getting somewhere, now I gotta redo it. I just couldn't wait to use these nice parts and now they'll go back on my parts shelf. It's a special shelf I guess..... Hey Brrly

VinsRJ

As always :thumbs: