lobo

Hydraulic lift cylinder rebuild

lobo

:wh: May sound funny but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a rebuild kit for my lift cylinder on my C-161 auto without giving up my first born or any appendages? :thumbs:

smoreau

Me too! I would like a rebuild kit for my electro 12

Kelly

First are the the style you can take apart? some are welded together, they can be cut open and rebuilt then welded back together, take it to a hyd. repair shop see how much they want to rebuild it, I did the one for my round hood this winter, it come right apart not welded, and cost about $5 for the seals from a local hyd. repair shop.

Trouty56

I asked one of the maintenance guys at work to cut a welded one open and try to fix it. He got it apart and bought the seals at McMaster.com. They are just regular hydraulic seals. It took him 3 tries to get it right. First time it looked good but leaked. When he reopened it he said he rolled the pressure seal. Second time he melted the seals cause he messed up the weld. Third time was a charm. Got the weld right and cooled it in some water in time. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

One of our members here has the seals for rebuilding the lift cylinders, PM indywh....he is our resident Hyd Lift guy.

lobo

:thumbs: A big thank you is in order, thought that someone would have some idea. Since I've been a member I have went through all the past posts and have gotten alot of useful information, thank you all very much. :wh:

lobo

Sorry, been tring to figure out how to post pics. If this works, after removing the lift cyl., remove the snap ring, if it's one you don't have to cut open,

2011_04100001.jpg

next, pull rod all the way out, I used my vice to hold it and tap lightly on the cyl. to remove the piston

2011_04100002.jpg

You now have it apart

2011_04100003.jpg

Now remove the retaining nut and seperate the pistons and remove the O-rings

2011_04100007.jpg

With a small, I used a screwdriver, tool (pick, alan wrench, etc.) remove the wiper seal in the end of top piston

2011_04100008.jpg

Replace all the above with new and reverse order to re-assemble. Hope this helps someone

• Like 1

Trouty56

Nice tutorial Lobo!! :thumbs:

Kelly

Nice job, glad to see it was rebuildable, but is that one more O ring on the shaft right below the threads??

• Like 1

lobo

Well what do you know, thanks Kelly for pointing that out, not sure, raining out now, will surely look tomorrow.

earlleecliffton

Where did u get the o rings andthat rubber seal on the end?

lobo

Thanks Bob, and yes Kelly that is another O-ring just below the threads. I haven't got the O-rings or seal as of yet, going to try the hydraulics shop.

:thumbs: Something tells me that you've done this before, Kelly? :wh:

TT

Unless things have changed in the last 5 or 8 years, that cylinder should take the OEM seal kit #101699, which is around $45 to $50

lobo

Thanks TT, yes it list for $47 and change but am trying to get around that

lobo

Just an update on the seals, just got back from the hydraulics shop, got everything I needed for less than $8. Got it all back together now to get it swapped out, oh yeah, also got the o-rings that go on the hoses too. :thumbs:

WH854

:wh: That is good to know :thumbs:

Chas :D

Kelly

Like I said I rebuilt mine for around $5 but the old ones don't have as many seals, most of the stuff is common hyd. seals.

stevasaurus

Excellent thread Lobo...should help many members...thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Charbs152

Edit, figured out my own question

Edited by Charbs152
  • Haha 1

JohnD

I love to see these nine year old threads still popping up as relevant. 

rick

^^^^I like to see the older posts too.  We aren't all charter members, lol!