Sign in to follow this  
powerhawk56

C175

powerhawk56

I just bought a c175 everything that I read its supposed to be a 17hp however the engine says Kohler 18 hp magnum. Was there some rounding diff's between :thumbs: and kohler?

When I went to go look at it I had the :wh: running half throttle, my foot on the brake and the hydrostat diseengaged. I put the lever in and the drive belt blew up I don't remember what position the drive lever was in when it happened.

The pully off the trans was free so for the price of the :D plus a leaf vac I took it home. I haven't had time to take the cover off to see if the belt had come off and bound in something under it or could it have been my error having it running while messing with that lever?

whalenkm

My C-175 has Kohler KT17S 17 HP engine.

C-Series14

Someone has put another engine on it. Like many of the Series I KT-17's, it probably lost a cylinder. Engaging the lever while running is not a problem...might of just been a bad belt to start with. Pull the side cover off and make sure everything is where it is suppose to be.

pfrederi

No issue engaging the hydro with the engine running you are supposed to disengage it before starting the engine. You probably should not jerk the handle up but in your case I suspect an old belt or a frozen idler pulley.

The Magnum is better than the KT 17 Series one as it has full pressure lubrication and a magneto ignition system. (Means that your ignition switch is not the original, be careful never apply power to the magneto wire you may see avery expensive puff of smoke :thumbs: .

You can download Magnum Owners manuals and service manuals from Kohler. Also it mean that the engine is newer and hopefully fewer hours than the tractor.

My C-175-8 is my second favorite WH, and she has a tired Series 1 transplant from a JD. Liked it so much I am converting a C-81 I got at the show last year to a C-175 with a NOS Series II short block

powerhawk56

:thumbs: I can't get to it until this weekend, at least I know I didn't do something to it