Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

craftsman

dgjks6

Besides 3 horses, I have a 10 year old craftsman - that the kids use to mow - it has a hydro, and the big thing, it has a lower center of gravity so its amost impossible to tip.

Every spring I get it ready. Today fixed a slow tire leak, removed deck, sharpened blades, checked plugs, oil, sir filter, and greased. I also replaced the front axle- steering is loose - and I have now replaced every part there.

Here are my observations:

Its a big box stor type tractor and it is not the junk everyone says. It takes more maintainence - you can't leave it for years and expect it to run like the horses, but this thing has been great.

It will never steer like the horses. A little play at every joint adds up to a lot in the end.

The deck is not bad to get off, if you do it regularly and rememebr how. But since I only take it off once a year it take forever becasue I cannot rememebr how to do it. I don't know if the tach a matic is that much easier or I just remember how to do it becasue I do it so often.

But, in the end I do like this tractor, and though its not a horse, its not junk.

Kelly

If you maintain the cheaper machines they will last, my cousin bought a new MTD at K-mart about 16 years ago, I helped him replace a starter last year and I got him a nice deck, his was just starting to get ruff, he greases it all the time and changes the oil in the briggs twin twice a year, he mows about 2 acres every week, it is getting tired but still does the job, and he paid $750 for it new, and replaced belts, batt's, spindles in the deck, and many sets of blades but you do that on any tractor that is that old, no it's not a garden tractor but he did not buy to do anything but mow.

Operator

10 years and 16 years , they were a little bit heavier built back then too, just compare them to todays "stuff" But, just my opinion here. :thumbs:

mavfreak

I have an MTD that was made in '91 and I have taken care of it but not that good. All its life is is to mow. And its tired but not dead the 18 twin briggs needs a overhaul and I have redone the deck spindles a couple of years ago. I'll probly rebuild this one cause even a rebuild is cheaper than a new one. Go price a lawn mower with a 46" deck.

And my deck is the same deck they have today as well has all parts on it.

can whlvr

my neighbor is a large equipment mecanic and has a crapsman thats over 20 years old,for the $ he has a great LAWN tractor,yes he only mows an acre and pulls a wagon,but he maintains it and its a good grass cutter,u cant compare it to a garden tractor,its a lawn tractor,i watched a garden tractor(crafsman) snow blow this year and it puts my horse to shame in distance that it throws,dont know about reliabilitie,but it looks tough

wheelhorse656

My grandpa has a MTD ranch king he bought new at farm and fleet in 1985 its a really good lawn tractor. he replaces the oil every year and the plugs. he did clean out the deck and sharpen the blades every year but he does not use it very much anymore. only to spread fertilizer and other granuls. and he uses it to pick up the grass clippings after I cut it. the only thing he cuts with it is the weeds at the back of the propperty. But it is still running like a charm but he got tired of it taking 3hours to cut the grass so he bought a country clipper zero turn and it takes less than half the time. I gusse my point is the olds ones are the best. :thumbs: