Sign in to follow this  
TT

In CASE of emergency....

TT

Quick history:

My sister-in-law needed a riding mower for her place, and the JD across the road is still broke (with a much-needed NLA part :whistle: ), so I have been watching the local classifieds for mowing tractors that were also capable of snow removal duties.

A few weeks ago I saw a CL ad for a 10hp Case with a mower deck, snow plow, rear lift hitch, and moldboard plow for $250. The seller claimed it ran but needed overhauled. (oil smoke) It recently reappeared on CL without the moldboard plow and the price was dropped to $125. I didn't hesitiate to call when I read the listing yesterday, and ended up getting the "package" for $100.

I had to go visit my Dad yesterday to wish him a :D and the Case was only 3 more miles up the road from my parents house, so I just drug the trailer along. :D

Could this be a CASE of good luck? :dunno:

Case22052008002.jpg

Case22052008004.jpg

Case22052008003.jpg

Yes - it needs a little "TT TLC", but I don't see any Japanese parts on it anywhere. :WRS:

DMESS

Those things are great fun in high range! Probably not BT fast, but they move pretty darn good for a factory setup.

Looks plenty good for $100! :whistle:

kpinnc

You did well TT! :whistle::WRS:

Congrats!

Kevin

TT

You did well TT! :WRS::D

Congrats!

Kevin

I'm not sure if that's the CASE or not, Kevin. :D

It's rained here all day so I haven't even been able to get it unloaded yet.

I hope it ends up being more than a "lawn ornament" companion for the Gravely. :whistle:

Rollerman

Nice find TT & it still has the factory exhaust on it.

Nothing wrong with a Case..I've had a triple 4 & a 210 when I thought a Horse collector could only have Horses... :whistle:

Like to find an early model & keep it.

Sparky

Is that the factory muffler or did ya swipe one from an old Chevy Nova :whistle: ?

Mike.........

TT

I don't mind having it here, Stephen..... honestly. :D It's going to pass right on through here once it's back in shape. I'm not sure if it will go to the neighbor or to general population, but there's not enough room for it to stay here.

Mike, Yeah.... that certainly is a large muffler! :WRS: It has seen better days, but I think my Dad has a spare for a VW Rabbit in his garage. :D

I did manage to get it off the trailer, but I wasn't able to do anything else to it yet. Maybe I'll put my hip boots and raincoat on tomorrow and try it again. :whistle:

T-Mo

Good find, TT. The Cases are tough tractors. And it doesn't look bad at all.

TT

It's a little rough up-close (and when it's dried off) but not a bad machine overall, Terry. The seller had the mower deck stored up by his garage, and after Hobie went up with him to get it he came back grinning. He later told me the replacement for the Case was a nice, shiny-new...... YARD-MAN! :whistle::WRS: :D

kj4kicks

Oh yeah, TT.... that'll polish right up. Should I bring the buffer along?

Seriously, looks good for the price. The new owner will still be happy in two years, the PO, not so much ! :whistle:

T-Mo

WHAT! Almost give a fairly decent Case away and buy a, hmm, a YardMan? Here's his sign. :imstupid:

rustbucket

that goes to show that todays mind set is disposable pos machines if it breaks oh well its a cheap replacement and the old one goes to china as scrap metal. makes me wish we where back in the 60's when machines where supposed to last the lfe of the owner and then even longer. thats just me though. i drive a ford E-250 with 195000 on the mileage and still no problems.

TT

Thought I might add that with the help of jumper cables and a shot of starting fluid, I had the Case running today. A little ride around the yard ensured that the driveline and hydraulic lift work perfectly. :whistle:

It was also noted by the increasing blow-by from the breather and light blue smoke from the giant muffler, along with a noticeable steady decline in power that the K241 does indeed need some internal attention. :WRS:

I put it on the "to do" list. :D

KyBlue

Will make a nice tractor for somebody once its redone!!

TT

In between mowing the neighbor's grass and working on a few other things, I pulled the engine off the Case today. It's not quite to the "drop a dime past the piston" stages yet, but there's quite a bit of extra room there. :WRS:

Lots more extra gadgets and gizmos to unhook, but at least there isn't a drive belt! :D

Electric power?

052808001.jpg

K-241 on the floor:

052808002.jpg

Where there's smoke..... there's CARBON! :D

052808003.jpg

I'd say the rings were well-seated!. :whistle:

052808004.jpg

rustbucket

thats a saveable engine and a well worth it case of heavy metal

TT

I have been forced into a "hurry up & git-r-done" rebuild on the Case engine. A guy up the road stopped to see if I had any mowers for sale and I offered him the Case - under one condition..... he will pay to have the engine rebuilt as if it was already his tractor. (he actually liked the idea B) )

Turns out he has connections at a nearby machine shop, so I stripped the engine down to the bare block Tuesday evening and dropped it off yesterday. As soon as the machine work is completed (bore the cylinder and grind crankshaft and valves & seats) I'll scare up some parts to get it back together.

(and yes, I'm going to sell it for more than the $100 I paid for it! :whistle: )

The Gravely should be leaving tomorrow morning, so I'll be back to all WH tractors soon. B)

bowtieguy

Hey TT....my brother is a Case guy..he has a 220 and it is a pretty good machine,,,ya just have to get used to the side discharge on the LEFT side.

If you ever see a 440 Case, better bid on it....big 15" wheels one rear make for one nice ride.

He also put a diesel engine on a 220...hydro pump is an easy hookup

PS...who knows, some day you might have a Eagle tatto on your other arm....the eagle was know as Ole Abe....long story about how Case chose it.....and if you really want a rare item, look for the cast iron Eagle sitting on top of the world....it was a dealer item and kinda rare to find....they stand about 4 ft tall..

(Now back to my WH stuff) B)

perry

i havent had a case in my yard yet . my buddys grampa had a nice big wheel one when i was younger and that thing was a bear.

HorseFixer

Good job TT looks like that will be a good tractor to do chores around the house! And give them RED ONES a well deserved rest! :whistle: They can stay up in the stable and laugh at ole' man CASE. B)

Duke

TT

BAD NEWS...... B)

The machine shop called today to tell me the K-241 block is cracked above the exhaust port. It runs from the outer edge to almost in to the head gasket sealing area.

If anyone has a clue where I might find a Case-specific 10hp block - or even a complete running engine, please let me know. I would even take a 12hp, as long as it's for a Case.

DMESS

TT, what makes the block Case specific? Oil pan is unique I assume? Wouldn't the majority off the accessories bolt on to any big block Kohler?

Just curious what the differences are.

Saw a 446 in the local merchandiser for $900, but that doesn't help you out much. B)

TT

They are an earless block with the standard 4 bolt small pan pattern. The major difference between Cub/Jacobsen/Ford/AC/Simplicity, etc. blocks and the Case blocks is on the PTO side where the accessory bolt holes are located. The Case block is machined with a perfectly round "ledge" or step about 5 inches in diameter.

This step (or shoulder?) is used to locate and center the hydraulic pump mount. (the pump mount has a lip that goes in over the shoulder on the block.)

The other blocks mentioned above have an as-cast edge around the accesory bolt holes. (same as the WH eared blocks)

I'd take some pictures, but the block is still at the machine shop.

(if you look at the first picture in my post from May 28th, the orange part right behind the starter/generator is the pump mount with the pump bolted to the back end of it.)

TT

I borrowed these from ebay: B)

Normal block:

4752236.jpg

Case style:

4752226.jpg

DMESS

Ahhhhhh! I see! Quite a difference indeed. :whistle: I figured the pan area was different, but never thought (what's new) about the pto side.

Best of luck with this needle and haystack. B)