Sign in to follow this  
trettig

Reel Mower "What to do"

trettig

So I came across this 30" Front Reel Mower LMR-304. I would like to take a general consensus about what to do with the mower. Restore it or leave original? If I do restore it - should I save the original sticker and use it after repainting the mower? How many of these 30" Front Reel Mower LMR-304 are there. Are they rare or common? And lastly - sorry for asking - what is it worth?

Tom

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1301740759.jpg

JimD

Yes, I would say they are rare, or at least becoming hard to find. Yours has a few problems. There should be five wooden rollers in front of the reel, and the shaft is bent on yours. The decal can most likely be reproduced by Vinylguy, in the vendors section here. Or you can use the link in my signature. Redoyourhorse. I would try to restore this if you can find or make the rollers. It looks to be in good condition except for the rollers and shaft. Here is a link to a pic I found of a restored one.

http://rbwheelhorsestables.yolasite.com/re...r%20LMR-304.jpg

VinsRJ

Tom, for the wood rollers just go to Wal-Mart or Target and buy three wood rolling pins. Cut the rollers in half and then slide them onto a new rod. :thumbs:

Kelly

I would love to have one of those, do you have the rest of it? the pulleys and mount that bolt to the tractor? I picked up a reel mower that is for the RJ and suburbans, yours is for the front engined tractors, I believe?

trettig

Everything for the Reel mower is shown in the photo. The reel mower is used on the front of the tractor. This I am sure of.

taycotrains

Reel mowers for the most part are a very nice implement to have from a collectors point of view....but on the other hand they are a pain in the a$$ !!!

I have a NOS one from a Locke/Wheelhorse dealer that used to be Chappaque

NY. The mower was in his loft of his storage area from brand new but never sold.

Unfortunately the belt guard and engagement linkages were long gone.

The problem with a reel mower is that its there bulky,heavy and just generally "clumsy" to have on the front of a machine....

Here is a picture of the machine the last time I ever had it out to a show about 4 years ago....

P1070075.jpg

I can haul 2 machine in the bed of a 8 foot pickup....as long as it isn't this machine

then I can only haul one.

Here is a closer picture of the front....

P1040876.jpg

You can see the special mounting bracket that is needed when it is mounted on a Suburban.

This picture shows how I found a old belt guard from a first generation reel mower and used it for this later application.

P1040877.jpg

Bob T

MikesRJ

Here's the manual for it. I have the side plates and front mounting bar for an LMR-30 and am looking for one of those as well. I suggest a complete restoration to original and I hope you do find the rest of the parts. They are certainly collectable, rare, and expensive when you find one in any shape. What's it worth, what a buyer is willing to pay for it. I've seen them go from $250-$500. They show up on eBay now and again, but always command a high price.

Depending on its configuration it could be an LMR-30 (1960), 301 (1961), 304 (1964), 307 (1961-1963), or 3072 (1962-1963). Yours appears to be a 301, 304, 307, or 3072

LMR-301 30 In. Front Mounted Reel Mower:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...961_LMR-301.pdf

trettig

I think my plan is to e-tank it. Put on new wood rollers and sell it. I mostly purchased it to flip. I think.

Kelly

What do you want for it as is? send me a PM, you said you don't have the rest of it?