Sign in to follow this  
Gene_S

RJ-35 Sign

Gene_S

Today the wife and I set out for the first long distance :thumbs: pick up from Mike (sorekiwi) east of Cleveland Ohio. Mike it was great to meet you in person after all the e-mails and messages we've shared over the last couple years. I'm going to get the tractor out of the truck in the morning and try to get her going...

On our way back we stop to get gas and food in Mansfield and the wife spoted this.

RJ35Sign-1.jpg

After seeing it I just had to take a picture of it and yes its a RJ-35 with a K-90 and it was all there. Hey John (Brrly1) I found them hubs you need for your RJ, you'll just need a 12 foot ladder...

RJ35Closeup-1.jpg

• Like 2

rj35hunter

WOW!!!! You don't see that everyday........especially here in Georgia! :D I wonder how long it has been up there? :thumbs::wh: Looks like a 57 model.

Clay

Gene_S

Thats what I was thinking to Clay it being a 57... The belt guard was MIA to help date it...

corn53

Wow thats cool!!!

wheelhorse656

Thats cool but shame on that guy for letting a perfectly good RJ sit on tope of a sign when there our collectors looking to buy one of these and this one is just rusting away :thumbs:

Brrly1

Gene, I have to agree that would definitely work. Boy howdy, you guys definitely took the long way around. I know Hammerhead lives down there in that area plus he got a friend that is down there too that does a bunch of laser cutting. Looks like you had a good trip but, you should've come back thru Toledo. Maybe next time. See Ya in Mentone :thumbs:

:wh:

dclarke

that's amazing Gene, would like to have that for sure. What did you get from Mike?

farmer

Gene,

My understanding of M. I. A. is missing in action.

Looks like that little tractor was a Deserter, and made an example of. :thumbs:

VinsRJ

I don't know how I feel about this...... ok I know.... :wh::thumbs: :D

clintonnut

Wow! I know of a suburban sitting on a flagpole in the kutztown pa area. It is about 20ft in the air

sscotsman

Thats cool but shame on that guy for letting a perfectly good RJ sit on tope of a sign when there our collectors looking to buy one of these and this one is just rusting away :wh:

I wouldnt say "shame on that guy" so quickly..

it depends on how long that tractor has been sitting up on that pole! :D

If it was put up there last year, then yes, we could say "shame"..but for all we know, its been up there 30 or 40 years!

If it was stuck up there in the 1960's, 70's or even 80's, there was probably no real collector market then..back then, it was probably "just an old piece of junk"..

virtually worthless..so why not make an interesting and unique sign out of it? :thumbs:

sure, today we are more shocked..and maybe its time for it to come down and be restored, if possible..but we need to factor in the era it was put up there, before passing judgment..

Scot

Ken B

I'm with Scot on this one. That RJ has probably been up there for an eternity and the guy should not have to take it down just because people now collect them. I bet he knows people collect them and yet he still chooses to leave it there. I like that. I bet he has recently recieved a ton of calls on it, I hope he leaves it there.

There is what looks to be an old Bolens on the roof of a repair shop on RT. 7 in CT. on the way to Norwalk. I'm just shy of 43 yrs. old and it has been there since I was about 5, and I bet even sooner than that. I bet some of the CT. boys know the one I'm talking about.

taycotrains

Anybody remember the Simplicity Wonderboy on the roof of the dealer on RT 309 going into Quackertown Pa ???

squonk

There is a roundhood on what's left of a tree at a mower shop in Pa. and at an old :thumbs: dealer near me he puts old riders or snowblowers on his shop roof depending on the season.

sorekiwi

It was good to finally meet you too Gene!

Funny story about that 1055 that we should share... I rustled a couple out of PA, and Gene wanted the 1055. It was the first short frame/big block tractor I'd been near, and I told Gene it was as cool as hell. He told me that he really didnt need it, and I should keep it.

I told him that with 16 tractors here right now that I didnt need it either and he should take it. We went back and forth for a day or so, and then he came and got it. Now that its gone I kinda miss it! I wish I could have slipped another couple of tractors into the back of his truck though.

I'm glad it's gone to a good home.

I've never seen that tractor in Mansfield. I think it's very cool! It's obviously been there a long time, and I think it should stay up there. Actually I think its a pretty dignified "retirement" for the old girl!

can whlvr

i like it too,theres a wheelhorse dealer an hour from me in burlington ontario that has a horse on the roof,i dont remember but i think its a c series

octfst

Well Isee you were in my neighborhood this a couple of brothers that have been there since the 60s the sign has been up about that long too. My dad bought his raider 12 there in the 80s when he went there to buy a part for the 753 I grew up on. My dad give me the raider in 2005 and I restored it 2006 thats when I got the bug. I have 13 now and will be getting the 753 back I hope this year. there still selling :thumbs: parts there.

qd-16

From what I understand, there are no gears in the rear end....I asked about it a couple years ago when I was there buying some parts......been up there since the 70's. Motter brothers are a great wealth of knowledge and fun to talk with!

can whlvr

ive been throuhg mansfeild a lot of times,i have friends in bucyrus and all around mid ohio,havnt been there since 911,its too much trouble to get a passport,guess i should then i could visit all your cool wheelhorse places,we just dont have that up here in ontario

Jim_M

My 95 416-H was bought new there, still has their sticker on the dash tower.

SNYFIX

Not a WH but we have a bakery here with a full sized bread truck on a pole but I'm sure there's others out there as well ----