Sign in to follow this  
hobie

First Wheel Horse

hobie

Hey Gang, What a great place you have here! I got my first Wheel Horse, d-180 the other day. Not sure of the year, or hours. It spent a lot of time outside. It runs very well, and has an Ark FEL that works well. There is rust, but the tin is in good shape overall. The bucket has some pitting, and pinholes. I found it hard to get used to driving, (I'm used to a joy stick on a ZTR). Steering this thing is a bear. It has a WH weight box, and chains. No rear PTO, but mid mount is there, and appears to work. I'm in SE Mass. and small tractors with Fel are hard to come by. I want it to do a little light dirt work, move wood chips, rocks, and some wood. I know I won't be able to move some of the heavier rocks. 3 of the turf tires need replacing. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks

dennist

:thumbs:

corn53

:wh: I have a c175 with a loader and its also very difficult to steer with a load!! Must be just the nature of the beast with no power steering!!! :thumbs:

farmer

:thumbs: Hobie,

With a D and a FEL you won't have to go to the gym again...ever. :wh:

stevebo

There is a member here selling power steering set ups for your machine. Welcome and enjoy !!

Shuboxlover

:D That's quite the :D for your first one....but them D's are hard to steer with them FEL's :thumbs: Just make sure you have about a 30' radius to turn the thing :wh:

Toejam

mavfreak

can whlvr

Coadster32

:thumbs: Glad you found us.

MikesRJ

Waving.gif

Redbirdman

yeah, what they said, welcome...........peechers please? :D:wh:

ed :D

wheelhorse656

I agree with the rest! :thumbs: Glad to have ya. also IMO this thread would be alot better with a few pitchers of the tractor! :D:wh::D Thanks, Jordan

hobie

Thanks for the warm welcome! It may be a week or so before I see the tractor, as I keep it 60+ miles from where I live. So probably no pics until then. I did try to take a couple with my phone, but turns out I'm not enough of a tech geek. I took 3 second videos.:thumbs: It came with a suicide nob, which helps, but I might be interested in power steering... First have to get some new tires, and paint the rims. I can really see why so many of you like to restore these things! There is something about old stuff that still has life in it. Some of the pics here are just beautiful! I don't think I would've felt safe buying it without this resource. Thanks again, Brian

hobie

This is a pic the seller took at night. Can't see much.

Attached Image

post-3-1301720161.jpg

JoeMonag

Hobie, welcome, Joe in Norton,MA (310-9 and 416-8 )

JC 1965

:D Hello and :wh: :thumbs:

jdpuller

WH854

:wh: Nice looking outfit :thumbs:

Chas

can whlvr

she looks great from that pic anyway :thumbs:

smoreau

:D a forward swept axle and steering gear reduction would help from a 520. Nice looking tractor, wish it was mine :thumbs::D :wh:

Horse'n Around

Howdy :thumbs:

John

hobie

You guys are great! A few questions: Anybody know the dimensions and weight of the tractor? With and without FEL? Anybody have the 520 parts Scott recommended (Forward swept axle, and steering gear reduction)? How much should I plan to pay for said parts? I'm curious about the weight, and dimensions for trailering. Lowes has a 5x8 on sale, but I'm guessing it wouldn't take the weight. I have a local guy I'd like to have work on it, but I think he'd want me to bring it over. Thanks again, Brian

TT

I can't help you with weight or dimensions, but I can tell you that 520 steering parts won't fit a D series.

Daddy Don

:wh: :thumbs: