Sign in to follow this  
slantram

Those Yeller wheels again.

slantram

If you look at the pics #1 and #2 this is the backside of each wheel as Mounted on the tractor.What I'm asking is can I turn the yeller one around and mount on the tractor backwards? To me the wheel is designed to be mounted only ONE way. Is my thinking wrong? Thanks, slantram.http: //s75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/slantram/Wheels/

Duff

Here are the pictures so folks don't have to chase 'em to Photobucket!

~Duff :thumbs:

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

slantram

Thanks Duff. slantram

Kelly

Many other brands mount the wheels backwards, you can bolt them on what ever way you want, but you will run into back spacing issues.

farmer

If you mount the wheel on as you describe, if there is enough clearance between

tractor and tyre/wheel your fine....I think :thumbs:

jpmcleod

I have had no problem mounting JD wheels backwards on a WH or visa-versa. The off set is the only factor you may have to watch.

Your question brings up a good point. I have several of both brands of tractors and I have never understood what they are mounted differently. I guess someone at the factories just mounted them that way and that' the way to do it.

I like the looks of the smooth center facing outward and the welds inward but that's not the way WH's are mounted so I mount them the way they should be.

jusjeepn

You mean you still haven't tried to mount these yet? :wh::D

On the 65-67 JD round fender tractors, the rims were made to be reversible specifically for added track width for stability. My RF had them mounted tucked up under when I got it, but because I was mowing ditches, I needed more stability. I just took em off and turned them around.

044.jpg

Since you not taking our advice here, try THIS sight and they will be able to answer your questions about the wheels themselves. :thumbs:

And if your still not sure, cut out the centers, slide em back where you want em and weld em back in. If your not confident enough, or do not have the tools required, a welding shop would probably do this for you in about an hour for very little cost.

slantram

I haven't tried this yet because where I live Winter hasn't left yet and the tractor is still under cover outside.Once it gets into the 40s/50s I'll give it a try. Today it reached 32 degrees ! Thanks,slantram.

halbert

I'm gonn'a be a wet blanket and point out something that, in practical application, may not be a real world problem. Good design practice calls for locating a load directly over, or as close as possible to, directly over the bearing. This is one reason that wheels have all the overhang on one side of center. Turning the wheels backward will widen the track, but it will also increase the bending moment on the wheel bearings. I'm just saying...

Henry