Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

the $25 854

rustyoldjunk

i went and looked at a dodge pick up for my 16 year old boy that he was wanting to buy awhile back his friends house.i spotted this 854 wheel horse there that my sons friends dad just hauled in and asked if he was interested in selling it.at the time he wouldnt give a yes or no.a few days ago my son called and told me he wanted to know what i would give him for it,so i called him and told him $50 if it dont run and $75 if it does,he said he was told it ran but would sell it as none running.when i got there he told me he had found another w/h and wanted to keep the plow.i asked him if he would take $25 for it without the dozer blade.he thought a while and said,ok,i just want it out of here anyway.so we loaded it and i made the 45 minute trip home with it.heres some pictures just before i unloaded it into the garage out of the rain.i do have a couple of questions for the experts.are these dual wheel spacers original? and someone done a pretty good job with the headlights but they dont look original to me.are they?i probably wont get a chance to mess with it for a few days with alot going on this week.i am going to pick up a free ford rider in the morning,to the doctor with my wife mid day.then in the afternoon im going after two 312 8 wheel horses,1 48 inch deck,one has ag/bar tires on the back,one has had an engine swap to a k301 kohler but for $150 i cant hardly pass them up.next couple of days it will be back to the shop to catch up on things then maybe this weekend or begining of the week i will know more about the 854 and the 312's and will post more pics and my findings on their conditions.enough rambling.heres the pictures for now.

Attached Image

post-3-1211245997.jpg

rustyoldjunk

picture

Attached Image

post-3-1211246071.jpg

rustyoldjunk

another

Attached Image

post-3-1211246146.jpg

rustyoldjunk

another

Attached Image

post-3-1211246242.jpg

rustyoldjunk

picture

Attached Image

post-3-1211246348.jpg

rustbucket

you lucky son of a gun you wish i had the luck you have with my local area but oh well if i bring anything else home my step mom will kill me and id be sleeping under the deck with my tractor's.

rustyoldjunk

dual wheel spacers

Attached Image

post-3-1211246413.jpg

TT

You definitely made out well at $25! The S/G belt guard is worth almost twice that to the right person. :whistle:

The headlights are not OEM units, and whoever thought it was OK to drill holes in WH hoods should have been castrated and then had holes drilled in their heads for lights. <_>

You can see the correct HL-5 headlight kit in the picture gallery.

The dual spacers COULD be WH pieces, but since they are so simple to duplicate it's too hard to tell. :WRS:

DMESS

Look like factory WH spacers to me!

rustyoldjunk

they tell me im pretty good at finding and dragging stuff out of the weeds,as for lucky yes and no,i do drag them in but i can only keep so many and with having decided to keep the C100 i just got in to add to my 3 other garden tractors i have to make hard decisions on what i can keep and what has to go.i wont decide on whether to keep the 854 and maybe one of the 312 8 speeds's for a few days until i know more about them.

CasualObserver

I agree... those spacers look original to me. And to say you made out ok for $25 is a BIT of an understatement!!!!! HOLY $!^# man!! You made a Great Deal!!

CasualObserver

Before you go thinking too hard about getting rid of the 854... remember... that's the one that bpjunk is trying to get a new toy model made of.

Kelly

Nice find :whistle: You have to keep that one it looks to be in pretty good shape for it's age.

rustyoldjunk

i have been a wheel horse nut for years but just dont run across deals on them often and since i seem to have a run on them lately i may well keep this one along with the C100 and one of the 312 8 speeds.i will know when i see what they need. did i mention that i was given a nice late model style wheel horse snow plow/dozer blade a week ago?i also have one that i think will fit the 854.

sorekiwi

Hey Jim,

You really dont have the room for another rusty old tractor, and with the upcoming baby you're not going to have the time...

I could probably help you out and take that one off your hands... :whistle:

BPjunk

Wellllll,

You cerntainly win the Best Deal of the Year Award!!! :D

The 6 x 12 dual wheel spacers are genuine Wheel Horse and are more then "hard to find" ... they qualify as rare!!!! And the hood is correct for the 854 even with the holes for the head light is worth 3 times what you paid for the whole deal. :whistle: The tractor looks very restorable and earns you a offical Wheel Horse Huntin' liecence!

Great Huntin' :WRS:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

rustyoldjunk

i dont know mike,this little 854 has grown on me fast.thanks BP.i kinda wish i had a deck for it but i probably woundt put it on it anyway....it looks to good without one.if it stays and it looks like it probably will,it will most likely keep my 1960 simplicity 700 company most of the time,warm and dry in the back of the garage.

PetesPonies

I want to add some Ag tires to my 854. I was wondering if your are 23/8.50/12s?? I just want to get a feel for how they look. I see other sizes available too.

TT

Jim's 854 has 6.00-12 tires, Pete. That is the size used on these tractors when new.

rustyoldjunk

and in my opinion those 6 inchers bite way better than the wider tires.i believe the wider ones are more for flotation to keep from tearing up the turf.i think those narrow ones look tuff too.lol

PetesPonies

I agree and was considering some 6-12s but really wanted to see how they looked. I also see some 7-12s out there.

rustyoldjunk

i have seen 5 12's on ebay too.