Dresden Guy

Plowing with a 10" moldboard

Dresden Guy

Spring is here! (well sorta') and I plowed for my first time ..... great fun!!

I need some experienced advice and/or answers..... :D:D

I have a 10" moldboard plow ID tag #07-10IP01 - which means it was part of a package of "Ground Engagement Implements" made by Brinly for Wheel Horse. The package included a disc, cultivator and 10" moldboard, all which shared the same main mounting bar (see photos)

Photo 1 10" moldboard plow w/ coulter wheel

WH10inmoldboardplowwithcoulter.jpg

Photo 2 10 " moldboard plow w/ coulter wheel

WH10inMoldboardplow01.jpg

Photo 3 Brinly type clevis hitch (missing the "L bracket between the plow bracket and the hitch - it keeps the plow sqaured while plowing - I used bolts used instead)

WHclevishitchhookupformoldboard.jpg

Photo 4 10" Moldboard plow (top view)

WH10inmoldboardplowtopview.jpg

:wh:

Does anyone have the Operator's Manual for the Group? I need to see how to set up the moldboard plow. I could not find it in the Manual Groups.

Does anyone have for sale the "L" bracket that is needed to keep the moldboard plow square with the hitch? :thumbs: (where I have bolts)?

Is the front plow plate (vertical with two carriage bolts) mounted correctly? It can go four different ways, depending on the implement being used. :wh:

Is the coulter wheel positoned/mounted correctly? :D

Even with all my lack of knowledge, the 40' X 60" plot turned out pretty good!!

farmer

Hi Steve,

I'm not familiar with your plough, but to me something looks amiss. From the overhead view it looks as if headstock has been welded "straight" to the beam of the plough. It should be set at an angle.

If you park your tractor with the left hand wheels on two 6" blocks, with the plough attached, view the plough from behind, the leg should be vertical,.... as it should be in the furrow.

You should be ok using the bolts in your hitch...just turn them around.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Dresden Guy

Rex,

The picture does make it look as though it's vertical, but actually it's tilted sideways 10 - 20 degrees (??) to compensate for the the right wheel in the furrow ...... I probably angled the camera such that it doesn't make it look angled.

As for the bolts, I had to do it this way, because my hitch does not have the nuts welded inside so that I can do the bolts from inside the hitch. I will have to have them welded inside so as to turn the bolts around. Also, there is suppose to be an "L" bracket that the two bolts are suppose to press against, instead of pressing on the plow bracket itself. Hope someone has one for sale. :thumbs:

I am going to do more plowing tomorrow and will keep working on the setup. I hope that someone has the actual WH manual.

Thanks Rex

IthacaJeff

Steve:

If you go to the Brinly website you can download manuals for their plows. Any of

the manuals will give a nice description on how to set up the plow and plow the

furrows. The typical Brinly plow looks different than yours made for Wheel Horse,

but the adjustments are the same.

It may be the photograph angles, but yours looks to be more 8" than 10".

Jeff in Enfield NY

6wheeler

Steve, all I did for mine was cut a piece of 3/8" flat stock to fit in between the hitch and plow mount. It squares up nicely when I tighten the bolts. You do need to weld them nuts inside though, it is so much easier. It does look funny from the top view, must be one of them there optical illusions. As far as adjusting goes I just turn the turnbuckle to tip the front of the share down so it will suck in and you're good. Don't tip her too far or it will go way deep and then...... you stop :thumbs:

donnie crawford

I have a set of the plows there great brinly website shows how to set up. you can flip that bracket for the straight and angled side to adjust the width of the furrows you will see on brinly site in directions. I have pictures or can help you with how to hook up the rest of the plows.   but brinly site shows really good.   

post-14369-0-94482500-1420402294.jpg
Edited by donnie crawford

gwest_ca

This may be the Brinly manual you mentioned

Garry