Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Another 856 back to life

kj4kicks

Boat seat, bad water pump, and that huge exhaust stack.... you remember the one? I don't regularly check Craigslist, but someone here posted about it, so I went and picked it up.

First, the steering shaft was broken loose from the fan gear, so that get re-welded. Replaced the front water-filled flat tires with a pair off an old Charger parts tractor. The battery was toast, so I swiped the one out of Karls old C120 for now. Amazingly enough, it spun right over, and even had spark! No fuel to the carb, though. Pulled off the old vacuum style fuel pump, and found that it was a simple fix. One of the discs was just stuck on it's seat. Popped it loose, cleaned it up, and it works fine. After that, it fired right up, but didn't run great. Removed the fuel bowl and all the water that was in it. Cleaned out the rust and gunk, and ran it again. Wow ! Tuned the carb and it's a screamer ! Cruised it around the back yard a little, then it got dark.

Maybe it will be worth fixing after all....

rustbucket

sure dose sound like a keeper to me and a deffinate score with such simple fixes so far being needed.

DMESS

Your fallin' in love with that stick shift already aren't you? :WRS: I bet you popped a few wheelies just to see if all the rumors are true! :whistle:

Seriously, I saw her in person and it's a great tractor for $125!

kj4kicks

Just talking to Joel over on chat (Dustin, you can come back now) and I think this may be the new tiller machine.

We'll see..... gotta at least try it out !

TT

I don't regularly check Craigslist, but someone here posted about it, so I went and picked it up.

You're welcome! :whistle: :WRS:

Kelly

No pic's what's up with that???

linen beige

Your fallin' in love with that stick shift already aren't you? :D I bet you popped a few wheelies just to see if all the rumors are true! :whistle:

If'n he follered the steps in the Redneck's Guide To Quick and Easy Tractor Testing like I suggested in the posts about the ad, ya d#$m skippy he popped a couple.

:WRS:

How 'bout it Eldon, will she "pull the wheels"?

tdearstine

I had my 857 out for its first cutting job the other day and had to go around the back of my livestock trailer which sits next to a small embankment, I pointed the tractor up the embankment and popped the clutch, oh s**t !! :WRS: the rear tires grabbed and the front end came up and I thought I was gonna have a tractor in my lap, damn, my 12.5 briggs doesnt even come close to pulling like that, I gots to learn what this thing will do :whistle: What kind of gearing is it in first gear ? Tom

TT

What kind of gearing is it in first gear ? Tom

How about 66.8 : 1 ? :whistle:

The shorter wheelbase combined with the smaller Kohler sure makes a good combination for unexpected air under the front tires! :WRS:

tdearstine

Thats for sure! have to make sure my sons dont figure that out when they come over, teenage boys love to pop wheelies, already had to put a lap belt on my lo-boy and widen the track as wide as I could because they were making tight turns wide open !! Tom

kj4kicks

Wheelies, yes ! Pics, not yet. I'll try to get some today. It's still in it's ugly state, and I want to at least clean it up a little!

Thanks TT, here's another fine mess you've gotten me in to! LOL.

PS. A 16HP Kohler with a hydro will pop a wheelie, too.... won't it Karl? :whistle:

PPS. Never ever pop a wheelie going UP a bank, that's just asking for trouble ! Same reason that you BACK a tractor onto a truck or trailer.

linen beige

Thats for sure! have to make sure my sons dont figure that out when they come over, teenage boys love to pop wheelies, already had to put a lap belt on my lo-boy and widen the track as wide as I could because they were making tight turns wide open !! Tom

One afternoon in the early '70s my brother and I were bored so we took a 10 hp Wisconsin that daddy had sitting in the building and bolted it to the 400 suburban. :D

Yesss, with the hood raised up a bit, it did fit where the K-91 had been. :whistle:

Talk about pulling the front wheels!!! :WRS:

Unfortunately, we also found the design limit of the internal gears, almost every one has broken teeth. :D

linen beige

Wheelies, yes ! Pics, not yet.

PPS. Never ever pop a wheelie going UP a bank, that's just asking for trouble ! Same reason that you BACK a tractor onto a truck or trailer.

Not even ONE PIC with the front wheels in the air? Puuullleeeeezzze!:whistle:

Very good point about BACKING onto a truck or trailer! :WRS:

Especially if you're using ramps that might not be held in place all that well. I don't know how many times i've had guys ask me why I load my tractors "backwards". Even more surprising, it's usually the ones who handle a lot of them.:imstupid: But if you've ever seen what happens if a ramp scoots while your front wheels are on the truck/trailer and your back wheels are still on the ramps, well let's just say that a Wheel Horse won't stay upright with only one rear wheel supported 2 or 3 feet off the ground. And it WILL fall before you can un-@#s it! If a ramp scoots while you're backing up, it will do it before you get more than 2 or 3 INCHES off the ground, and no one gets hurt.

If seeing one flip over onto it's top isn't enough, then look closely at the hole the lift arm makes in the ground, :wtf: IF it doesn't go through your leg or your belly! :D And Kohlers don't like to run upside down, and gas tank and transmission vents become drain holes, etc. :D

It's also a LOT easier to drive one off the truck/trailer when it's going forward.

Maybe we should start a "safety tips/horror story" section?

DMESS

Wheelies, yes ! Pics, not yet. I'll try to get some today. It's still in it's ugly state, and I want to at least clean it up a little!

Thanks TT, here's another fine mess you've gotten me in to! LOL.

Now. If we can just get you thinking about a round hood, the addiction will be complete! :whistle:

I've got a nice little Suburban 400 that needs some sheet metal work which would be right down your alley. Even has the super cool diamond tread tires! You know you can paint these purty too! :WRS:

CasualObserver

You know you can paint these purty too! :whistle:

Who is it that has the one that's painted a nice deep maroon? I've seen it in pictures from the show. Nice different style front wheels on it too.... Here's a picture of the one I'm talking about....

maroonsuburban.jpg

DMESS

In fact, I have a 550 I'd sell ya since you don't like to pull ropes! Of course, it's not a Kohler!

TT

Who is it that has the one that's painted a nice deep maroon? I've seen it in pictures from the show. Nice different style front wheels on it too.... Here's a picture of the one I'm talking about....

Dan something, I think....

He's a shop or vo-ag teacher of some sort (IN or IL, maybe????) and he and his students did two M.E. tractors like this.

The front wheels have custom CNC machined "alphabet" Farmall looking centers over black-painted original wheels. :WRS:

I know he's in the big group at Yahoo, and I'll remember his name right after I hit the "Add Reply" button. :whistle:

TT

TOLD YA ! :whistle:

His name is Dan Nelson and he's an auto shop teacher from southern IN.

I talked to him for about an hour at the 2006 WHCC show.

kj4kicks

OK guys, here are a few pics. Sorry, didn't get any while airborn...

P1045881.JPG

P1045882.JPG

P1045885.JPG

P1045886.JPG

nylyon

Oooh... that deck isn't looking too good...

Rollerman

That tractor doesn't look to bad Eldon!

Always liked the shortframe square hood tractors. :whistle:

Just curious if the seat swivels & if the tractor has a rod holder too.

DMESS

The rest of the tractor makes up for the "lightweight" deck! It's a nice one for the price. :whistle:

kj4kicks

Just curious if the seat swivels & if the tractor has a rod holder too.

Yep, it is a swivel seat.

A rod holder, you mean like this ?

P1045884.JPG

Rollerman

Yep, it is a swivel seat.

A rod holder, you mean like this ?

Wow :WRS: ....wasn't expecting that?

Well atleast the PO didn't bolt down an anchor mate & trollung motor to that clean hood. :whistle:

Sparky

Hmmm...is that the ultra rare front discharge deck :whistle::WRS: .

I have owned a WH with a boat seat on it and it may look goofy but it was real comfy!

Mike......