Sign in to follow this  
jspain

310-8 vs 312-8

corn53

Congrats on ur purchase!!! I also have a 310 and I know u will be pleased! :thumbs:

all4glh

My best mower is my 310-8. Of course I have no other Wheelhorse to compare it to. Only time it's ever ran out of power is a 10" or more of heavy (wet) snow on my single stage blower. But, you go slow enough and it trucks through it without issue.

Can't wait to see your pics, sounds like it's in good condition.

Daddy Don

:thumbs:

dandan111

Sounds great, now you can shop for some attachments!

kpinnc

Congratulations on the 310-8 purchase. I have one, and it is my most dependable tractor regardless of what work it's doing. It mows, plows, or tills all day long with no complaints.

Both Tractors should have tranny #110996 which is a 4 pinion with 1 1/8 axles..

This would be incorrect. Both machines should have 1 inch axles, but the 310-8 most definitely has 1 inch axles. Personally, I have never seen (not to say they do not exist) a 312-8 with the larger axles, unless it was a hydro. All of the Eaton-equipped hydros (late-model Cs and 300/400/500 series) came with the heavy axle and differential. As previously mentioned, some of the later 314-8 and all of the 315-8 models had the 1.125 axles, but none of the 310-8 models did.

dgjks6

Wheel Horse musta made a lots of transmission combinations. I was interested in the 1 vs 1 1/8 inch axles and found that in 1993, the 312's had the bigger axles, but not the 310's. They only had a 4 pinion diff though. The decals also said "classic" which goes along with the description.

Forest Road

Congratulations on the 310-8 purchase. I have one, and it is my most dependable tractor regardless of what work it's doing. It mows, plows, or tills all day long with no complaints.

Both Tractors should have tranny #110996 which is a 4 pinion with 1 1/8 axles..

This would be incorrect. Both machines should have 1 inch axles, but the 310-8 most definitely has 1 inch axles. Personally, I have never seen (not to say they do not exist) a 312-8 with the larger axles, unless it was a hydro. All of the Eaton-equipped hydros (late-model Cs and 300/400/500 series) came with the heavy axle and differential. As previously mentioned, some of the later 314-8 and all of the 315-8 models had the 1.125 axles, but none of the 310-8 models did.

Congrats. I own a 1991 312-8 w/ 1-1/8" axles. Specs say it has the 8 pinion diff too. Well I'm not about to crack the tranny to prove anyone right or wrong. It does a great job plowing gravel and grading the driveway!

can whlvr

congrats,as hes been said u will be very happy with the 310,and dont feel bad about the bells and whistles on the dash,they just fail and cost large to replace,i know i have a 414 that needs the idiot light board and its 200 bucks from my dealer

JoeMonag

Hey, Congrats onyour new 310-8, I have an "88 that I have had for4 years, and other than routine maintenance of oil, spark plug, fuel and air filters,and a bell crank weld that let go last week. It has been very dependable.

I have a photo copy of the manual and parts list that I was able to get from Toro. So if you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

you can reach me at JoeMonag@aol.com. Good luck and have fun.

Joe in Norton, MA

dgjks6

I can't believe no one has said this, but we want pictures.

jspain

This is my first attempt to send pictures, I hope that they come through ok.Wheelhorse3-1.jpgWheelhorse2.jpgWheelhorse4.jpgWheelhorse5.jpg

dandan111

Looks like it will be a nice worker!

Congrats!

dgjks6

I like it. Looks to be in good shape. Just a question, what are the holes under the head lights for?

JoeMonag

if you get me the model #, Ican get you the year, and trans. #. It should be something like:

21-10K803.

The 21tells you it is a 3 series, the 10 is the HP, the 8 means 8 speed trans, the 03 is the year. 01 is an '85, 02 and 03 are '86s, 04 is an '87 ,05 is an '88, 06 is an '89. In 1990 the model # changed to 31-10K801, 02 was a '91,03 was a '92. The model # change again is '93 to all numerical :73320. From my records it look like '93 was the last year they made a 10 hp tractor. On the early years they used the K series engines and in '87 they started useing the Magnum series engines. The ignition type varies with the engine and year.

Good luck with your 310, Joe