Sign in to follow this  
jspain

310-8 vs 312-8

jspain

New member first post. I have been searching for the past several weeks for a good used 310-8 or 312-8. Yesterday, I found one of each, and as far as used tractors go, these two are as close as they could be in overall condition. Both are one owners and garage kept and have 42" SD decks. Asking $500 for the 310 and $800 for the 312, both sellers state prices are firm. 913 hrs. on 312 and 810 hrs. on 310.

My question is, assuming that the 312 has the larger 1.25 axles, which the sellers is going to verify, is it worth the additional $300 for the 312? Also, these prices seem to be in line, am I correct here?

Thanks, John

Cleaverkid

John,

I can't answer your questions because I personally don't have any experience with either, but... :thumbs:

I know there will be other with wiser opinions.

mavfreak

personally its going to be up to you. This is a hard one to answer. I say go look at both, run them and look over as good as you can and make your decision.

Good luck!

:thumbs:

dcrage

I never owned a 312-8 -- But I have never been able to use up all the power my 310-8 has -- I have always lost traction way before the engine pulls down

So from my limited view I am not sure what you will be able to do with the extra 2 horses on the 312 and little bit of extra weight from that engine that you can't already do with the 310 -- And that will cost you $300

Another cavet, my deck is 37", no experience with 42", so the extra 2 horses might help there -- But again the PTO belt will slip when you put a real super heavy load on the mower -- I have slipped the belt on my deck but never pulled down my 10 horse engine with the mower deck -- And I have done a lot of extremly heavy mowing

Now the bigger axels??? -- I always thougt the 300s were all the same in this kind of stuff -- That was what you got when you bought a 400 or 500 series -- Be interested to hear what the folks who know here will say

As far as price -- Your description of the two tractors you are looking at is pretty much identical to my set up -- $500 seems on the high but fair end for my tractor/deck -- I know I could get that much use out of my tractor and deck

jimbotelho

First welcome!! :thumbs: I have been here on the red for a short time but in my opinion buy them both and sell off the one that you do not want or maybe once the-- :wh::D (You will be collecting them once the bug hits you so go for it you can't lose Big jim in new fairfield

another way to look at it , if you want to loews or the home depot what would you be paying for a tractor there?? and getting?? in my opinion junk!!! good luck!!

racinfool40

:wh: Both Tractors should have tranny #110996 which is a 4 pinion with 1 1/8 axles..So I'd say it was your call.. Look at both and see what one you would prefer?? :thumbs:

dandan111

I have a 314. A 310 I think would be enough power to do anything you

throw at it. The bigger axle I would not be real concerned about,never seen a broken axle from normal use. I would buy the machine that has

had the best life/taken care of.

Good luck! Please show some pictures of the new tractor!

btrrg1969

:thumbs: I have a 312 and a 314 , I cant tell a dimes worth of diff in the power between the two so I would say the same as 310 vs 312 . I run a 48" SD deck .

My buddy has a 310 with a 48" deck as well and he says he has plenty of power. I would go for the 312 , just becuase . Good Luck

Kelly

I think I would want to see them both start for the first time in a day, to see if they smoke on start up, drive them around to get a feel for them, don't just look at them, test them out, run the deck to see if one is noisy, drive them in all gears even low range to listen for noise, check the trans fluid dip stick under seat, see if full and clean, ask for any maintenance records, if the more expensive one is the nicer tractor tell the owner you have a chance to buy another one about like his, but you would rather buy this one ask if he will drop the price a bit, they can only say no.

can whlvr

as has been said allraedy,go with your gut,the 310 seems to be a better deal,less hours ,less $,they are both very capable tractors,the 2 hp could be handy sometimes,deep grass being the one im thinkin of,i have had all of the hps in the small block kohlers and hp is nice when needed,as far as the belt slipping on the deck that would indicate that something isnt setup right,oil on the clutch,belt too loose,etc,so ultimatly u have to choose,maybe u can buy booth and start your collection with 2,one horse is never enough :thumbs:

IthacaJeff

Hi,

I have a 310-8 and have run a 42" RD deck no problem. . .and as you have seen

some have even run a 48" deck. . . but hills may be an issue there. The 312 and

310 should be identical but for the engine HP. I believe, but others here are more

knowledgable, is that the only 300 series to get 1 1/8" axles were some of the

later models 314s.

Your best bet is the one in better shape. Check the PTO clutch plate, the tranny

mount plate on the chassis, oil seep from the axle seals, belts, and tires. Not like

these are hard to replace (except the tranny mount), but they are pricey and

can eat up any savings. Check the mower decks carefully. WH decks tend to

stress crack on the center pulley, and this can be fatal to the deck. Other area rust

patches can be fixed, but spindles are also pricey. Make sure they spin freely.

$500 for a good shape 310 sounds on the high end of reasonable, but it really

depends on its condition. That 312 would have to be pristine for me to fork out

$800. I got my 310 10 years ago (it was only 12 years old but pretty beat) for

$100. The deck crapped out after about 4 years (see above), the seat is a shot,

I've replaced one axle seal ($6), changed oil and replaced fuses. The darn thing

has plowed snow, pushed dirt, plowed furrows, and is currently set up to till.

Best $100 I ever spent!

Jeff in Enfield NY

dgjks6

If you got $800 I would go with the 310 and then find yourself a plow or blower with weights and chains.

Kelly

As for the prices, if they are nice, prices are fair, everyone wants to buy nice tractors cheap, but in the real world, most here would not sell their nice machines that cheap, I know I wouldn't, and don't, I get $300+ for tractors that run good but need minor work and paint, more if they are nicer, and good 42", 48" decks I get $200+ $300+ for real nice decks, so no the prices are not bad, can a better deal be had?? maybe, but you will have to wait and look, then maybe the deal will come to you.

I sold a nice low hour 312 last year to a member here for $750 with a 37" deck and bagger, it needed very minor work from setting, in a garage for 5 years unused, I gave him a deal, if I would have fixed a few things on it and installed a new batt. I would have asked $1000 it had around 300 hours on it.

Ken B

Kelly is spot on and right on the money.

I'd buy the tractor that looks like it was better taken care of. Even though the one tractor has 300 less hrs. that doesn't mean anything if it wasn't taken care of. Ask each owner what his maint. schedules were and what, if any parts have been replaced.

Forest Road

Kelly is spot on and right on the money.

I'd buy the tractor that looks like it was better taken care of. Even though the one tractor has 300 less hrs. that doesn't mean anything if it wasn't taken care of. Ask each owner what his maint. schedules were and what, if any parts have been replaced.

I'd agree 100% here!

Also the first WH I ever drove was a c-101 in the 80's. That guy still has it going strong w/ a 42" RD. It looks like he** but keeps on tickin! A 10 vs 12hp kohler....may as well be tomato vs tomaaaato!

Good luck!

boovuc

:wh:

310-8 speed of mine mows, plows and I've had the blower on it for a season. My 310 has the 4 pinion rear verses the 8 pinion rears on the 416 and my C-175 but I never give that difference a thought. Best of all, it's real easy on gas!

Do a gut feeling between the two. You'll make the right decision! :thumbs:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

jspain

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and timely responses. Hopefully, both tractors will still be available tomorrow as I plan to purchase one. Unless I find a major problem(s) with the 310, I plan to go with it as I think that it will do everything that I pan to use it for and more. Also, the 310 is just about 15 mins. away while the 312 is 2 hrs.

Once I make the purchase I will post my thoughts and some pictures.

Thanks again,

jspain in NC

Kelly

Good luck, check it over, make sure your happy with it, and yes pictures.

JC 1965

:D First of all :D I would choose the tractor in the best overall condition. You'll have plenty of power either way. I have a 312-8 with plenty of power I also have a C-81 with a Kohler 8 HP and it has plenty of power. So a 10 hp or 12 hp will do anything you want it to. Hope this helps!! :thumbs: :wh:

JoeMonag

If the 310 has an hour meter it should have a Magnum engine, which means it is at least an 87. The 312 may have aKohler K serise or a Magnum. The year of the tractor, along with the model # like 21-12K804, determines the engine type, and spec #, and the wiring, along with the transmission. Some of the later models have the 1 and 1/8 axles, and 8" rims on the front tires.

I paid $ 600 four years ago for ( tractor only) for an '88 310, but the dealer went all over it and gave me a 1 year warrany. Only problem I had was the weld on the bell crank for the lift broke, las t week.

If you pulg the model # into the Toro site, it will give you all the features of the tractors. Or you can put them on Red Square and one of us can tell you.

Both the 310 and 312 are great machines. The price is not bad, for the hours.

I bought a 416-8l ast spring,with 899 hours, that sat for two years, paid 500 for it, sold the 48" deck for 275, but still put about 200 bucks in parts. got it running like a top, but turned out to be a smoker. Just had the engine rebuilt, and put on a new muffler, for a cost ove a grand. So if the condition is good, buy them both. The hours seem low, which says they didn't get alot of use.

BTW check the tread on the tires, if they don't look worn, then I would quess the hour meter is accurate.

Joe in Norton

Operator

Interesting read! You know just like the rest of us once you buy that first one you need another, you might as well just buy both now and get it over with! :thumbs:

jspain

310 vs. 312 results. First a small correction. I mistakenly mentioned in my opening post that the 310 had an hr. meeter--I got that confused with another 312 that was also on CL. The 310 has no hr. meeter.

Went to see 310 first thing Sat. morning as it was only 20 mins. away. First impression--not bad, very little rust, obviously stored out of weather. Cosmetically, seat was torn, one head light not burning, foot pads, shifter knob missing, front of hood scratched by mowing close to tree branches etc.--but not down to metal. Rotating screen on flywheel broken. Missing right side deck cover as owner removed them to prevent grass build up. Found left side in garage and said he would call me if he found other cover.

Mechanically, engine started immediately and idled down and held a strong steady idle with no smoke even upon load and acceleration, no leaks. No leaks on unidrive, however it did have smaller 1" axles. Transmission belt appeared to be worn as it sat lower in pulleys than I thought that it should. Steering appeared to be tight with no sighs of damage. Deck was sound, no rust, but right side spindle had a little run out but did not roar when deck was engaged. Seller was original owner but did not have maintenance records, said battery was three years old.

Tractor drove well and went in to all gears just fine including hi-low. Breaks held good, but climbing slight hill in front yard I could tell drive belt was slipping while in 3rd gear--confirming my evaluation of drive belt. Cont. in next post.

jspain

After pointing out belt , seat etc. to seller, I offered $400--he was asking $500. We settled on $450 and he threw in an extra spindle that he found in his garage that was in good shape as he looked for deck cover again at my request. While this was not the "deal of a lifetime" the local Toyota dealer keeps insisting I can get on his TV ads, I thought I did OK. It started raining as I made my return trip home and I decided since the day was shot for any outdoor projects, I would drop off the 310 and go see the 312 as I was too curious not to.

312 was the new Classic series, but overall it was cosmetically on par or just slightly worse than the 310 and I immediately knew that between the two that the 310 was by far the better deal. Using the tires as a gauge, the tires on the 312 had much less tread left, making me feel that the 310 had lower hrs. and possibly an easier life.

Just for comparison reasons, I drove it and I could tell no difference between the two. As this seller was asking $800 and was very firm on the price, I was even more pleased with my purchase of the 310. While the 312 had the larger axles, two more hp and an hour meter and some additional dash electronic whistles and bells, I am pleased with my find and purchase.

I plan to post pictures just as soon as the rain stops and we get some sun.

jspain in NC

mavfreak

:wh:

wheelhorse656