Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Dale's Lawn Ranger

Curmudgeon

For the last few months I've been working on a Lawn Ranger project. I've never had one of the smallest Wheel Horses before, so I was excited to finally get one, even if it was in parts in several boxes.

It's been interesting to say the least. I'm finally getting it together, or at least thought I was. It came without a transaxle, which created woes of it's own. The first one I prepped to go in left the rear tires too close together to fit the tool box/fenders in. Fortunately, I had a different transaxle with the longer axles. More seals, more paint, more oil, later, it's installed and works fine.

Moving to the front. A couple of pictures to help show you.

First, a view from above. Notice, yes really, the front spindles have washers welded to the tops of them to hold them in place. Notice also the toe in. Measuring the tie rods, they have an effective length of 7 3/4", combined, that's 1 1/2" too much.

100_0312.jpg

Moving on to the next picture. Now you can notice the excessive about of camber I have!

100_0314.jpg

Since both toe and camber are severely wrong, and the fact the washers are welded on the spindles, my guess is, these spindles are not from a Lawn Ranger. They are from a tractor with angle in the axle instead of straight up and down such as this axle. Either the spindles or the axle is wrong. Being my first and only Lawn Ranger, I have no idea which.

Now, could it be the spindles are wrong, which throws off the toe, or are the tie rods also wrong? Different spindles with a different placement of attachment point for the tie rods, and with a full 90 degree in them, would solve both problems.

SO, all you Lawn Ranger owners out there, what is really correct with my front end, and what isn't?

Dale, would be pulling his hair out if he had any, in Michigan

perry

if only you would have posted this yesterday. i cant help ya out tonight. i just got back from taking my other ranger up to the barn in port huron. i wont see it untill around christmas time :D . i have'nt got to involed in my 2 yet so im not sure how the front ends are set up. i do know that both of mine have some floppy front wheels. i believe the bearings are shot. sorry i could'nt help.

perry

perry

after looking at your pics again, i think you have the completely wrong axle there.

looking at the pic i took the other day, it looks like mine has the standard wheel horse front axle. even the cheap vertical shaft later models ran the standard WH axle. i may have one if needed.

oct20001.jpg

Curmudgeon

After receiving an offline from a good friend, I checked through my parts manuals. Seems Lawn Rangers came with two different types of front axles. I have the earlier, Perry's is the later.

The two different types of axles required two different types of spindles and tie rods. It looks like it's possible someone put the later spindles and tie rods on my earlier front axle.

The later version is actually a nicer set up, and I'd prefer it, but, well, gotta go with what works.

Kind of the same deal I had with the rear end. Retrofitted with wider rear wheels which in turn required some finagling to make work.

Maybe that's why this thing was in boxes???? LOL

Now I can't go complaining here, too much at least. The farther I get into this project, the more I find some parts are from the earlier versions, some the later. While it does make it interesting for me, I'm also the same guy who took half a Commando 800 and half a C-141 and made C-Horse. I know what parts are which, but picture someone else in the future trying to decipher what I did!!! Or Tall Girl with parts from several models as well as Dale's own manufacture.

Dale

kj4kicks

Little bit of this, little bit of that.....

It's fun to build hybrid's !!

Eldon.

CasualObserver

I'm glad someone gave you an answer, because as I was reading this today... I was thinking... that looks just like my suburban axle, just upside down. (which it still could be, and maybe that would explain the welded washer?) :D

kpinnc

You're right about the Suburban axle. That's what was used on lawn rangers, mounted upside down, for at least the beginning of thier production. That info is in "Straight from the horse's mouth". Looks like you're right Dale, someone swapped spindles.

I think the 32R and 32E (1962) definately had the same axle Dale does. They also had seperate fenders like the 400/401 and 550/551 Suburbans. The later model Rangers (L-models) had a "pan-style" rear one piece fender and new style axle.

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Correct a mungo. That's the style of fender/tool box/seat I have also. They also came on the RJ's.

Dale, in Michigan

kpinnc

I dug a little info out of my books tonight. Sounds like what you have is somewhere between a 1962 and 1964 model Ranger. The recoil start Rangers were named 32R, 33R, and 34R, while the electric start models were called 32E, 33E, and 34E cooresponding to the year.

33R=1963 model w/ recoil start.

In 1965, the newer axles and fenders were used on L-105 and L-155 models. Each year up until 1967, the middle digit in the number was used to identify the difference between manual and electric start.

L-157=1967 model w/ electric start.

I didn't realize it, but Rangers were manufactured right up until 1971. From 1968 to 1971, they used the 1-XXXX numbers just like so many others of that period. The 1971 ranger had part number 2-0200. Looks like it was the only one made then.

Anyway, you have definately got an OLD Ranger. I think all of them looked kinda neat, but the older ones with the 2 piece fenders were very sharp. Box or not, you got a great find there. Good luck with it!

Kevin

T-Mo

So, what year would this Lawn Ranger be?

Lawn Ranger on ebay

Also, what would a '68 Lawn Ranger look like? There's one on Craig's List in my area, but no pictures.

Curmudgeon

Can't tell you the year exactly, but it's one of the later ones as it has the vertical engine, pressed steel frame, and light duty transaxle, whereas mine has the horizontal engine, cast iron transaxle and heavier frame.

My GUESS is 1969 or newer, that's the year the Lawn Ranger changed dramatically from the earlier, tougher versions, to light weight, cheap versions.

Being a lawn mower instead of a garden tractor, it would make a basis for a racer though!!!!

Dale

T-Mo

Okay, I think you're right, Dale. I checked the excel file showing all years of Wheel Horses and up to and including 1968, the Lawn Rangers used the H-- Tecumseh engines and starting in 1969 they used the V-- Tecumseh engines. So that one on ebay must be a '69 or later. Then the '68 on Craig's List will have the horizontal engine in it. Good to know.

CasualObserver

Terry, Go back to this thread... Perry's is a 68. It's the only year they used those hood decals.

A Boy and his Horse

T-Mo

Terry, Go back to this thread... Perry's is a 68. It's the only year they used those hood decals.

A Boy and his Horse

Thanks. I was wondering what a '68 would like.

Curmudgeon

Okay, I think you're right, Dale. I checked the excel file showing all years of Wheel Horses and up to and including 1968, the Lawn Rangers used the H-- Tecumseh engines and starting in 1969 they used the V-- Tecumseh engines. So that one on ebay must be a '69 or later. Then the '68 on Craig's List will have the horizontal engine in it. Good to know.

:D Same way I came to that conclusion! See, I don't know diddly squat, but I have boatloads of paper to look things up on. I've also downloaded and saved all the pictures from CD project yahoo group. Not everything is listed, and not all are good pictures, but it's a start.

Dale