Sign in to follow this  
chris11

cub cadet Original

chris11

I have been driving by this house for about 2 years. I saw this old cub under some trees so i stopped to ask about it. They told me the landlord owned it. gave them a call today told me to take it if i wanted it.Never even walked up to it till i was picking it up and found out it was a 61 original. Ill take some pictures. They worth anything?

Sparky

Worth anything? Yep, but some pics would be nice to get some idea of its value. I think the Cub guys go nutz for the "Original's".

Mike.......

Gene_S

If the tractor has the rear fenders their worth a couple hundred them selves!!! I believe T-Mo told me that...

VinsRJ

I was lucky enough to pick up an Original for free too. It was a total load of ....., missing front tires, Kohler locked tight as a drum, all dented up..... I still ended up getting $150 for it. :thumbs:

chris11

heres some pics paintedwheelhorse168.jpgpaintedwheelhorse170.jpg

chris11

The engine is free has spark. someone pulled the starter apart. I have a spare one ill clean it up. get it running.

TT

I have a spare one ill clean it up.

Remember..... it has to turn CCW. (backwards from WH & many others)

Looks like a decent tractor. (money maker? :thumbs: )

chris11

Thanks T , I see its mounted on the other side. Good tip...........

Kelly

They sell good, that one looks pretty good, and yes use the correct starter, one that drives off the PTO end, not the flywheel end, that is why the CW and CCW rotation.

T-Mo

It's in decent shape. The Cub Cadet Original isn't the official name or model. It's called the Original by collectors and Cub enthusiasts. It's called that because it was the very first Cub Cadet, and was the first foray by IH into the market.

That one doesn't have any options, but it's still worth a little. I have never been fond of the Original, due to it's low driving position and the fact, it isn't a true direct drive. The frame is turned down, therefore raising the engine too high to be in direct line with the transmission. So, it has a small belt coming off the engine to the drive shaft. When IH redesign the Cub Cadet (the 70 and 100), they flipped the frame over, which lowered the engine in line with the transmission.

Since the frame stops short of the transmission, cracks in the frame can develop where the transmission bolts to the frame. IH also eliminated that problem with the 70/100 redesign by extending the frame all the way back past the transmission.

The Original has model specific attachments that won't work on other Cub Cadets and vice versa. Decks and front blades from other models won't fit on the Original.

The seat is wrong on that one - it should have a pan seat.

Here are some Cub Cadet sites:

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/BobsPage/

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php

http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum/

Good luck with it.

grnlark

I have an early 1961 Original - May '61 to be exact. Quite honestly it's one of my most favorite tractors. I think it's comfortable to drive, the Kohler runs amazing and it pulled my Power King up the driveway effortlessly.

chris11

Well came home from work with a engine off a cub cadet 100 took the starter off. The fuel tank on this must have been replaced, it is spotless. Cleaned out fuel bowl. Sanded points, Dam thing fired up like i just shut it off. Took it for a ride. Needs the clutch freed up. Vince thank You....

Horse'n Around

Way to go Chris and you already have it running ,Score!

John