Sign in to follow this  
bhough89

Rear hub keeps moving

bhough89

Hi RS members,can anyone tell me why the right rear hub on my B-100 keeps moving?Inn have replaced the rear seals and checked the set screw.Do i need a new hub? :thumbs: Bill

VinsRJ

Can you shed a little more light on the situation.... meaning, does the hub move in and out on the axel shaft? Or does it flop around on the shaft? When replacing the seals did the keyway look good?

rmaynard

Do you have a single or double locking bolts? Wheel Horse had this problem and advised dealers to drill and tap a second 3/8-16 hole at 90 degrees from the first. Then they added a standard 3/8-16 capscrew (bolt) to help hold the hubs in place.

bhough89

The hub always slides toward the trans.It only has one set screw.

rmaynard

Be sure that you have no "slop" between the key, the slot, and the hub, and then with the lock nut backed off, torque the bolt 28-32 ft./lbs., then lock the nut down.

If the hub continues to slide, remove it, drill and tap the hole as mentioned above and add another bolt.

Take a look at this post and you will see a picture of hubs with dual bolts.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=0entry220413

perry

try replaceing the set screws. pull them out and see if the bottom is flaten out. a good set screw should have a sharp bottom edge not smashed. go to 3:10 and 4:25 in this video - (wrong model tractor same concept)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZippoVarga#p/u/45/in2FOxFGnVg

my buddy has the same problem on his WH B-100 with left hub running in towrads the trans. and he has dual set screws. maybe his bolts are bad. or you could allways weld the hub to the axle :thumbs: .

meadowfield

I redrilled the set screw sharp again with a 1/4" drill. I then ground a slight step into the woodruff key where I could see it normally touches.

It hasn't moved since...

mark

Anglo Traction

Also make sure your 'Woodruff' Keys are in good condition with Square Edges, also check they are a good tight fit in the Keyway(s) of the Axle Shaft(s).

If the Transmission Oil had leaked and migrated along the Shafts to the Hubs, the Oil can assist the movement of the Hubs. Clean and dry the Hub Bores and Shaft before refitting. The Hubs should be an 'Interference Fit' on the Shafts and over the Keys.

meadowfield

Also make sure your 'Woodruff' Keys are in good condition with Square Edges, also check they are a good tight fit in the Keyway(s) of the Axle Shaft(s).

If the Transmission Oil had leaked and migrated along the Shafts to the Hubs, the Oil can assist the movement of the Hubs. Clean and dry the Hub Bores and Shaft before refitting. The Hubs should be an 'Interference Fit' on the Shafts and over the Keys.

Indeed that was the issue with mine - oils seals had failed and oil was running freely down the axles. There was no chance of a secure fit!

mark

KB9LOR

I had a Raider 12 that had single set screw, and it kept going in towards the tranny, I got a 1 inch or so wide 1/8" thick steel flat stock, cut it so it would fit across the axle but within the hub width, drilled two holes, then threaded them, bolted the metal across the hub and axle and never had a problem the whole time I owned it. Someone on here told me about that trick, can't remember who, But I like that idea better than gouging my axle with another set screw.

mavfreak

I would replace the set screw and all tap the hole it the hub to make sure the end threads in the hole aren't messed up preventing you from tightening the set screw completely onto the key