Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Borrowed a Friends Commando 8

T-Mo

I had to dig a 2 foot deep trench Saturday to lay about 130 feet of conduit. I rented a walk-behind trencher. Monday I borrowed a Commando 8 with a snow blade from a friend to fill the trench in after Ameren UE inspected the trench. Man, that was fun. That little Commando 8 was fantastic and did a great job. Maybe I can take pictures of it if I need to use it again, but none for now.

Anyways it got me thinking about getting one for my 314-8. So I emailed Toro about the availability of one, which for my 314-8 is model 79364 along with adapter kit 105-1501. It's still available but I had to contact my dealer for price. So I called the Toro dealer in Desoto (about 25 miles north) and they have 3 in stock but don't know the price. They have to call Toro for a price (sounds like a vicious cycle).

I was curious about what blade fits my C-141 so......You guessed it, the same blade and the same adapter kit will fit my C-141. Now to convince the wife when the dealer gives me a price. :D

nylyon

When I was looking the price was about $699 for the blade and $70 for the adapter kit. You can find like new, or if you're in Connecticut *NEW* blades for around $150.

T-Mo

When I was looking the price was about $699 for the blade and $70 for the adapter kit. You can find like new, or if you're in Connecticut *NEW* blades for around $150.

The dealer just called - $545 for everything, including the adapter kit. Actually less than I thought it would be. Unfortunately my wife took the call and she didn't like the sound of $545. I'm trying to convince her that is a fairly decent price.

I did find one a couple of months back - $250 for a supposedly new one, but I didn't react quite fast enough.

nylyon

$545, that is a very good price for a brand new one.

T-Mo

Yeah, I thought so also.

My problem here is that just how much use would I get of one. I live south of St. Louis, Missouri and we don't get as much snow as some of you guys get. Most people from the northern states think Missouri is a southern state, people in the states to our south think we're a northern state. Missouri is about as middle as middle can be, with two states directly to our north and two states directly to our south and as many states to our west as we have to our east. Winters can be cold to extremely cold, but snow fall is minimal with most snow falls about 3-6 inches and very rarely over 10. I can remember winters of hardly no snow and winters where we got 18 inches at a time.

But, still, a snow blade won't get used a lot, but it would be fun to have one still the same.

kpinnc

I'll bet there are a dozen on Ebay right now. The price the dealer quoted you for a new one is fantastic, but they go for around $100 or less on Ebay.

I hate to even give Ebay a nod with that, but they are commonly listed there.

Kevin

T-Mo

Okay, will this one fit either my 314-8 or my C-141?

Blade on ebay

BTW, I have a couple of pictures of the Commando 8, but I'll have to resize them first before posting them.

nylyon

Well, that one looks like it would work, but I don't see the lever to angle the plow, which you will really want to have. I wonder if the frame for that one is homemade?

Also, don't forget you will need the rear axle hitch to mount the plow, unless you already have one. The one thing to check for with a used plow is to be sure that the cutting edge hasn't been worn down as to wear the plow itself. The wear edge is replaceable, but if the plow itself is worn that would be one to pass on.

Curmudgeon

Yeah, I thought so also.

My problem here is that just how much use would I get of one. I live south of St. Louis, Missouri and we don't get as much snow as some of you guys get. Most people from the northern states think Missouri is a southern state, people in the states to our south think we're a northern state. Missouri is about as middle as middle can be, with two states directly to our north and two states directly to our south and as many states to our west as we have to our east. Winters can be cold to extremely cold, but snow fall is minimal with most snow falls about 3-6 inches and very rarely over 10. I can remember winters of hardly no snow and winters where we got 18 inches at a time.

But, still, a snow blade won't get used a lot, but it would be fun to have one still the same.

OK, I gotta ask. In degrees fahrenheit, just what is cold and extremely cold? That should tell us if you are northern or southern. Of course, elevation plays a role too, but cold is cold.

Dale, curious to hear from a Yankee state!