Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

GT-1600 Redo/Engine Mod

sgtsampay

Hi all. As many of you I have a 1984 GT-1600 Work Horse. It had a 16Hp briggs that was low on compression. It also had a 4 pinon tranny that I repaired and then repainted over the winter. This tractor is used for small comerical mowing and nieghborhood snow-removal. It also used for pulling stuff around the yard and a small amount of tilling during the fall and spring for my sister's garden.

Now, I want to strip it down to the frame and then wash it really well, replace any worn out parts that i may fine and then repaint it with a few coats of paint and put it back together. I will then mount a Chinese 10Hp clone diesel on it. The tractor will also run a 42in rear discharge deck that I have, but needs two patches and a new coats of paint. I will also be mounting a 44in 2 stage snowblower for winter us.

For now, I have the deck, the engine, and the tractor ready to be worked on. So i started a few nights ago and stripped it down to the frame and tower:

100_0419.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0421.jpg

The engine has not been started yet, but it can be followed in this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26522

Next week, I will be washing the tractor with the pressure washer and then start sanding it down and derusting it. Then its paint time! I will also see about getting new front tires...Enjoy!

Toejam

Great start ... good luck with all of it. Cant wait to see the new engine.. :thumbs:

c-series don

Hello, just to let you know I believe the correct color is an oldsmobile color,somewhere? I have it written down. If you want I will look, anyway please post pics along the way. Have fun!

JimD

Looks like you're off to a great start! Keep the pics coming.

MaineDad

Bobby,

Get it under cover. We're getting a bunch of snow tomorrow! Looks like a great start...

TT

Hello, just to let you know I believe the correct color is an oldsmobile color,somewhere?

It's actually Wheel Horse paint, but here are the automotive equivalents:

1971 Lincoln-Mercury Pewter Metallic for the 1982 models.

1982 Lincoln light pewter for the 1983-84 models. (non-metallic)

KB9LOR

Nice start Bobby, but lifting that 2 -stage manually is going to give you popeye arms! lol

Kelly

While your in there check the bushing out in the lower steering support, they can be had from Toro pretty cheap, and check the axle out good if you plan to run a 2 stage on it, now is the time to change worn axle pins and steering parts.

sgtsampay

While your in there check the bushing out in the lower steering support, they can be had from Toro pretty cheap, and check the axle out good if you plan to run a 2 stage on it, now is the time to change worn axle pins and steering parts.

Yeah, I check over the steering and everything seems very tight. I will be taking the front two wheel off for repaint and new tires, but that will be little while, as I want to get the motor mounted and the frame repainted..

UPDATE: I had to make a new breast plate with a clutch PTO arm hole built in it, for the engine. After much measureing and drilling/cutting, I was able to make up a nice new breast plate that the engine will mount to and bolt to the frame. The plate will give the frame a little extra support for the extra holes that I made for the engine mount and also still give me a clutch arm hole. I also was able to make sure the old drive belt works and works well. I think it came out very nice. :thumbs:

I then started derusting on the frame. Its in very good condition with very small amounts of pitting. I also got rid of most of the stickers and all of the old wiring out. Since its a diesel very little wiring will be placed back in and that can be done whenever, since the deisel is fully self contained. I also got the front part of the frame primed and painted up nicely and will keep working on the rest over the next few days. Hopefully by next week, the tractor will be ready for its new engine and then I can do a start up!

sgtsampay

Nice start Bobby, but lifting that 2 -stage manually is going to give you popeye arms! lol

Well if C-160 can do it, I can also. LOL.

sgtsampay

UPDATE: The tractor is completely derusted and everything but the hood has been primed. Today it will be getting it coats of automotive paint and my nieghbor is using a spray gun, so it should be coming out very nice looking.

I got pictures of it all primed and will get some pictures of its finished coat today.

Now i need to get some new tires and paint the front rims.

Horse'n Around

Hi Bobby,

I sent you a PM.

John

sgtsampay

PM sent back!

sgtsampay

Here is the tractor getting primed and slowly painted. Also, the bottom of the hood had to be rebuilt as it was rusted out, so my nieghbor fiberglassed it and put some metal back plates.

Also, all of this sanding, painting, and priming has been done by my wonderful neighbor. I guess he must really be bored. LOL. Also, three of the parts he fill in the rust pits with red lead and then he painted and primed it. It looks great!

Lastly, he took the front wheels off and get them ready for painting also. This tractor will look great when it done. :thumbs:

Here are the pictures:

100_0436.jpg

100_0442.jpg

100_0449.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0452.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0455.jpg

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0459.jpg

100_0462.jpg

100_0463.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0465.jpg

100_0466.jpg

100_0467.jpg

100_0468.jpg

mavfreak

coming along very nicely! Its going to look great when done!

sgtsampay

UPDATE: Here is some finishing up paiting that has been done today. I think tomorrow should be the last day for painting. Also, their has been a clear coat added to the peices as well, to give it that extra finish. This thing may be to pretty to use!

Here are some more pics!

100_0469.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0471.jpg

100_0472.jpg

100_0473.jpg

100_0474.jpg

100_0475.jpg

100_0476.jpg

100_0477.jpg

100_0478.jpg

100_0479.jpg

100_0480.jpg

100_0481.jpg

100_0482.jpg

100_0483.jpg

TT

YOU PAINTED IT THE WRONG COLOR! ! ! ! ! :wh:

Now it looks just like every other plain old red Wheel Horse. :D :thumbs:

dgjks6

painting nuts and bolts silver. Now that is some serious OCD. I love it.

sgtsampay

TT= Yeah, i thought about painting it the orginal colors, but then I I was like, that would be boring, why not make things a little interesting.:thumbs:

So, i can up with my own paint sceme. :wh: I hope it comes out nice..

dgjks6= yeah, gotta pay attention to detail. LOL. Thats the way my nieghbor roles. All or nothing..

sgtsampay

UPDATE: Its all together! I will start it tomorrow when I'm off from school and work but this morning I was able to put everything together and it looks great! I even was able to get the PTO clutch mounted and it works! Man, it look sharp. I will get some pictures of it tonight for you all.

sgtsampay

I got it all together today. I have to mount my new seat (I ordered it), put a new throttle cable, get new tires, and do some wiring and its all complete! Here is what it looks like, and enjoy!

Also, tomorrow is the first test run of the engine and test driving the rig.

100_0484.jpg

100_0485.jpg

100_0486.jpg

100_0487.jpg

100_0488.jpg

dgjks6

That is one good looking tractor. I really like the silver engine.

Was is hard to put the painted bolts in? Early in my restoration I started taping all the threads.

And my hats off to you. By the posts that was a total of 9 days of work. Thats great!

sgtsampay

Why thanks sir! Yeah, my cool nieghbor did help out a ton, but it seems hard to beleive that it has only been 9 days so far... I will doing some more work on it tomorrow, but I bet with one more days work, it should be all done.

Also, the painted bolts didn't seem to care once the paint was dry. It seemed fine using standard tools. I will also be putting the tractor out to sun bask during the day while I'm at work, to help harden the paint as its super soft still.

dennist

Bobby, Good looking tractor! All your time spent was well worth it-You should be very proud. I like the colors you used. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

can whlvr

lookin good,tell us how she runs,are u gonna put a mower deck on her