Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Finally, its here/

sgtsampay

Canwhlvr= Yeah, that my thoughts. Cheaper to run and 650 seems like a good deal. Also, as a diesel it will hold loads better than a gasser and use about 1/4 less fuel. Also, nothing beats a diesel smoking under with a stack. LOL.

dpm2000bolt

so it sounds like tomorrow is the Big Day to fire her up? I love mine I was talking to a diesel tech that tinkers too and another thing to keep in mind on a stack is you still need back pressure on it so that you don't burn your valves and you can loose power with out it.

that is one reason I hung on to the exhaust

Jim_M

I don't think you could stand to sit in the seat with just an open stack. These engines are loud enough as it is. Both of mine have an extension added to the outlet of the stock muffler. The 4 horse aims up and I aimed the pipe on the 13 horse down and out the rear of the tractor.

tmessenger

HI.SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL MAIL YOU PICTURES OF MY STACK. IT IS STAINLESS STEEL AND FROM HOME DEPOT. $17.00. NO WELDING. IT IS ON MY 417-8 W/H. WITH THE 10 H/P DIESEL. RUSS

That looks a lot like a stainless steel handicap grab bar to me !

Good idea.

sgtsampay

Hi guys. I didn't get to start it up last week, as I got busy making the engine breast plate and getting it all mounted. Then the painting process started.

The stack will have a muffler on it it, so it won't be loud hopefully.

sgtsampay

Ok, so I got to running yesterday. I do have some point to make out though.

For those who don't know, like myself, diesel motor oil is different than normal gasoline motor oil.

Also, diesels are very cold blooded. I tried to start the thing from a 23degree cold start with no glow plug or electric start this morning and had to give up as I couldn't pull the rope anymore. Also, note when pulling the rope go all of the way or it will stop and bounce back pulling your arm back. It feels great!

I will be so happy when I get electric start and a glow plug but for now I'm thinking about using jumper cable and directing connecting the starter and the glow plug and going that route till next week when I can get it wired up with a glowplug button, starter button, ampmeter, and light switch.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the quility of the clone and overall quitness for a diesel. Now I want to see how well it performs and lasts doing work. :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

How is it vibration wise? Just curious.

John

sgtsampay

Not much different than an old kolher. I really like it and think its not bad at all.

baerpath

Ok, so I got to running yesterday. I do have some point to make out though.

For those who don't know, like myself, diesel motor oil is different than normal gasoline motor oil.

Also, diesels are very cold blooded. I tried to start the thing from a 23degree cold start with no glow plug or electric start this morning and had to give up as I couldn't pull the rope anymore. Also, note when pulling the rope go all of the way or it will stop and bounce back pulling your arm back. It feels great!

I will be so happy when I get electric start and a glow plug but for now I'm thinking about using jumper cable and directing connecting the starter and the glow plug and going that route till next week when I can get it wired up with a glowplug button, starter button, ampmeter, and light switch.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the quility of the clone and overall quitness for a diesel. Now I want to see how well it performs and lasts doing work. :thumbs:

Did you use the compression releif ? Makes it a lot easier LOL

Duane

sgtsampay

Yes sir, I have. I have noticed that if I heat up the glow plug with jumper cables and wait about 15 seconds and then disconnect the cables. Then I pull start the engine about 2-4 times and she comes right to life. I can't wait to get my wiring done in a few days and then I don;t have to use jumper cables!

I also have noticed that the diesel has a lot of take power (torque) compared to the old worn out briggs. i hope that is a good sign that this engine will do me well. :thumbs:

SALTYWRIGHT

THE DIESEL GETS ITS POWER AT A MUCH LOWER R.P.M. I HAVE STARTED MINE AT 18 DEG. WITH THE HEATER UNIT WORKING. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MINE. I WILL BE AT THE WHEEL HORSE SHOW IN JUNE WITH IT.