Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

ENGINE DEGREASER

mr.pipes

I started working on a tractor the other day that I hadn't touched since I got it last fall. The engine is filthy and I would really like to degrease it and paint it. I have never washed an engine other than on my quad but I know that doesn't mind getting wet.

I would cover the intake and exhaust. Is there anything I don't want to get wet? Do you guys use engine degreaser or something else? I'm just concerned about the electronics because that is my weakest area knowledge wise. I can see the stator behind the flywheel so I know the water will find it.

Any tips or suggestions of what you guys do would be appreciated. Thanks

stevebo

Stay away from the points (if it is a k series). If you get them wet you will have to pull the cover and dry them with air and/or wd-40. Good luck-

Save Old Iron

I'm just concerned about the electronics because that is my weakest area knowledge wise. I can see the stator behind the flywheel so I know the water will find it.

The stator windings are actually one of the best protected areas in the electrical system,

The wires of the stator are covered with a high temp enamel paint and are well protected from moisture.

The stator can be damaged by abrasion (chipping off the enamel exposing the copper wire to oxidation) and chemical solvents that would dissolve the enamel paint.

300zx

This may not be the best way to degrease before painting, but it works for me.

I usually remove the coil, plug wire and points. I also remove most of the tins. I then use pressurized keorsene (the siphone type gun you get at Harbor Freight) to remove as much grime as I can. I then pressure wash. When fairly dry, I again soak it with concentrated Purple Power (from Walmart). Another presure wash. When it is dry, I check for any areas I missed. Other wise, I paint and usually don't have any fish eyes. I always change the oil after a wash and grease any joints to remove any water that has gotten in them.

Save Old Iron

anyone ever try a steam gun advertised for kitchen and bathroom sanitizing?

if they actually work as advertised and melt the grease away with steam, that would ave a bunch on degreasers.

VinsRJ

I usualy remove all of the tins first. Give the motor a good scrape down to get the bulk of the sludge and dirt off. Then I like to use Purple Power / Castrol Super Clean and a garden hose. As Steve said above its a good idea to follow with compressed air to dry it off and blow out the tight spots.

littleredrider

I either soak it in degreaser and spray with a garden nose (multiple times( or throw it on the trailer and take it to the car wash. Usually don't need any degreaser, has enough pressure and heat to take off any grease.

Of course you get all the stuff that comes off the tractor, I end up dirty while the tractor gets clean....

Oh and I usually leave it running....

mavfreak

if they actually work as advertised and melt the grease away with steam, that would ave a bunch on degreasers.

They don't work

6wheeler

I do what my wife calls"redneck washing". I scrape off most of the gunk. Then I spray on very warm water and Dawn dish soap mixture from a squirt bottle and let it sit a little while (usually a beers worth). Then I hook up my little pressure washer to the utility sink faucet and run hot water thru it and pressure wash it on medium pressure. I think the hose going out the back door gets her cause the flies sneak in. It works for me :thumbs:

can whlvr

the company i worked for had a hot water pressure washer,it has a diesel boiler and a honda pressure washer,no chemicals needed,it blasts all oil and grease and dirt in seconds,i agree to grease and change oil and remove tins so one can get the fins clean of that fine dirt build up thatoccurs under the tins

rmaynard

They don't work

I borrowed a Shark steam cleaner from my brother-in-law. As Heath said, they don't work worth a darn. Small areas maybe, but not any heavy duty grime.

Better way is to seal off all openings, soak the engine with a good concentrated mixture of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, the real stuff, not the phosphate-free stuff), applied with a stiff brush. Let it sit for a about 30 minutes, then spray it with a 3000 psi power washer.

Blow the excess water off with compressed air, and put it somewhere warm to thoroughly dry.

There ain't nothin' going to be left behind with that method.

Spray on a coat of rust neutralizer.

WH nut

If you are going to paint anyway, I uyse oven cleaner

mavfreak

They don't work

I borrowed a Shark steam cleaner from my brother-in-law. As Heath said, they don't work worth a darn. Small areas maybe, but not any heavy duty grime.

They don't even take the crumbs off of the countertop. Don't waist any money on one