Sign in to follow this  
redtin

DRIVE BELT 416-8

redtin

Hi All 416-8

Anyone know if you can tension the drive belt as mine is rattling about when clutch

is depressed,the belt looks in good shape. :thumbs:

Duff

Some flop in the belt is normal, but you should check to see that the belt "brake" on the clutch isn't bent. It's the "L"-shaped bracket that bends over top of the clutch pulley and acts to stop the belt when you depress the clutch so you can shift without grinding any gears. I'm not sure on your engine, but on the smaller Magnums I'm familiar with there's also a piece of really heavy wire formed into a bracket that extends out from the engine and helps to keep the belt from jumping off the engine drive pulley. If either of these is bent, broken or missing the belt will probably jump around a lot more than it should. The last thing to check is the belt guide attached to the underside of the footrest on the right side of the tractor. It might have been bent or broken off, but that would be very unlikely unless the tractor had been severely abused.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others with more experience will jump in!

Duff :thumbs:

Edit: Oh - to answer your original question, I don't think there's any way to "tension" the belt......

2nd Edit: If you happen to reread this thread, Redtin, I forgot to mention the belt guide that's bolted to the side of the dash tower behind the belt guard to support the upper part of the belt when it's slack (clutch depressed). It's a fairly simple piece of metal slightly bent on both ends so it won't catch on the belt. If it is missing, that, too, would contribute to the belt flopping around.

redtin

Thank's Duff for all the information.

I have posted a pic of the guide at the PTO is this how it should be it looks as though it wood do nothing where it is.

Redtin

DSCF0009.jpg

Duff

Actually, that's exactly where it should be and it looks to be in good adjustment. I just went out to the shop and checked my M10 and M12 motors which are set up the same way. Is that an M16 you have there? Great motor!

My guess is that the intent is to protect the lower lip of the belt guard (seen just to the left of the guide in your picture) since the belt guard is sheet metal and over time would probably wear pretty quickly if the belt slid on it. If you have someone depress your clutch while you look at the belt you'll see it drop down onto the guide.

Duff :thumbs:

redtin

Hi Duff

I can see your point it would soon wear away the guard,will look at the guide at the back of tower you mentioned tomorrow.

yes mag 16 she had a lot of har work recently ploughing my lot and it's very hard ground. Thanks again for your help.

Redtin

can whlvr

also check that your clutch pulley isnt going bad,it will flop around for a while then seize