Sign in to follow this  
farmer

In the garden

Operator

Back to a potatoe question, :woohoo:

I cut my "eyes" then plant them with tissue paper wrapped around them. Anybody else do this?

312Hydro

Well we've had salad crops for a while, :D now it the turn of the peas and beans.

They are never better than picked fresh, but you can only eat so much, so most will be frozen, hopefully we will have cleared most of these before the runner beans are ready in a few weeks, (the novelty of picking wears off with the kids after a while...don't want to push my luck with them :P )

Anyone else out there harvesting yet?

IMG-20110628-00162.jpg

I have "Garden Envy"! Wow! What a good looking garden :ROTF: I bought a tiller this year but never got to use it :D I guess I'll just get the garden ready for next year in the fall. If I had your soil,I'd burn mine. That's a great pic too. :woohoo:

farmer

Operator,

I think I understand you to mean you cut the tuber into smaller peices, each with some eyes to increase the amount of seed you have? I have heard of this, but not the tissue trick, what's the theory behind that? :woohoo: :D

Jim_M

We've had lettuce for 2 months now, it's about done though, it's trying to go to seed. We've also had plenty of Kale, Swiss Chard, Kohl Rabi, Spinach, Onions, Peppers and Peas. The potatoes are blooming, and I have tiny green beans. The tomatoes are loaded but they're still very green. I have Turnips that will be ready any day now and the Beets are close behind. The Zucchini, eggplant and melons are all blooming.

It's been a great year for the garden in northern Indiana, the weather has been perfect for growing, everything looks great.

farmer

Horsefans,

Just a few pictures of :banghead: jobs carried out over the last few months, not much except hoeing until recently. Dug my spuds a fortnight ago, yielded well, got 6 cwt off 200 ft of row :D (note for next year, plant squashes further away :thumbs2: )

So, a spot of hoeing.

246.jpg

The tearing down of the runner beans.

257.jpg

And a week later they get the chop :thumbs:

258.jpg

The eagle eyed among you may notice that my 312 is now my garden tractor,

( I have a new mowing tractor, can anyone ID it from the last picture, one clue, its 8 1/2hp!)

I will post about it in the tractor section soon. :banghead:

AMC RULES

So, a spot of hoeing.

246.jpg

Really nice picture, looks like more 2012 calander material to me. :banghead: I'm wondering what the wall of vegetation behind the tractor is? :thumbs2: Real purdy stuff.

darren

I was thinking the same about the calendar potential of the shots. Some great photos of the horses and the cultivation Rex, it's certainly spurred me to put a few other jobs on the back burner and get out into the garden!

The trailer you use looks pretty handy. Is it a Wheel Horse too?

farmer

Thank you for the compliments chaps, the pictures are off my mobile phone i'll put one foward for the calendar :thumbs2:

Craig, those are Runner beans..known as Pole beans in the US I think, if you keep picking the beans the plant keeps flowering and producing more beans (can be a very heavy cropper.)

Darren, The trailer is badged Toro wheel Horse, made in the US. I think its sold in different colours under different names, :banghead: at least the design is very common.

farmer

Things are starting to wind down now in the summer garden, a few days ago we had a frost.. So its pumpkin/squash harvest time. :thanks: You can't miss the pumpkins, but the butternuts and sweet dumplings can be hidden away, It's a bit like Christmas morning...finding out what you've got. The pumpkins are just for Halloween fun, what the kids don't use we give away to friends, the village school etc. But the squashes.... they don't go anywhere. :help: Stored properly we'll be ok till April :dunno:

The reason for the last picture is to show why I don't use John Deere.....has anyone seen my tractor ? :thanks::wh:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Nick

Looks like a nice fall harvest and even more calendar contender pictures. Very nice. :dunno:

bk-scouter

Very nice pics Farmer ! Thanks for sharing. :dunno:

-BK

312Hydro

So, a spot of hoeing.

246.jpg

I like this pic the best ,but they all look great! I think it's the background that highlights the :wh::dunno: Your garden looks great BTW.

AMC RULES

005.jpg

Ahh, my new favorite picture. Gosh, you sure have a beautiful farm. :dunno:

farmer

EPILOGUE

Clear up time

The commando pushed the vines around thirty feet before it ran out of traction, better tyres and weights and it would have cleared the plot, still, it saved me a lot of work.

winterbeans073.jpg

winterbeans072.jpg

Tidied away, beans broadcast...its tiller time, for the last time this year. :dunno:

In the foreground are some I planted two weeks ago.

winterbeans075.jpg

Last picture is my new toy, used it to put some p and k on the lawns and sow the beans, it should be handy in the winter for the drive and lane if we get snow. It was only a 'cheapy' but seems to work well.

winterbeans071.jpg

meadowfield

I did wonder why you would need the blade!

great pics once again...

AMC RULES

Man, the sky in that first pict is amazing...like you live on a mountain top. :dunno:

FarmerJim

Hi Farmer!

Just curious about the beans sowed for winter. Are they soybeans and do you use them for plowdown (green manure)?

I used to plant winter wheat for spring plowdown (when I had bigger machinery) this is most interesting to me

What a beautiful and bountiful garden you were blessed with!

farmer

Thanks again fella's for the nice comments, cotton wool clouds certainly make for interesting pictures. :thanks:

FarmerJim, in the UK winter/field beans are grown as a protein animal feed, as you guessed I grow them as a cover crop. They can stand temp's down to -20c (about as cold as it gets here) being a legume they fix nitrogen in their roots for the next crop, and of course you get the greenery to add to your garden :wh:

I get a real 'kick' out of feeding my tribe, and your right, it's been a great year for the garden and i'm already looking foward to next. :dunno: :help: