Sign in to follow this  
farmer

In the garden

farmer

Hello all,

About a month ago I ploughed over an area for beans and peas. The weather has been nice, so last week I tilled it a couple of times and this past weekend I drew some rows, put in some of the "good stuff" and then back-filled them.

Managed to sow some broad beans, did some more ploughing today, - this area will be for potatoes and other tender crops.

I took a few pictures, I hope you enjoy.

number1.jpg

number2.jpg

number3.jpg

number4.jpg

6wheeler

Rex, you're killing me. Look at that MUD on your tires. I have about a foot or more of snow to be gone before I will even see my gardens. I am officially jealous....

MaineDad

I am jealous too. Not just at the fact that you are already in the garden, but I love the WH wheel weights! :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Very cool picts. :thumbs:

farmer

Sorry to make you fella's jealous, but you know what it's like, the weather can change things pretty quick ...springs not far off :thumbs:

Speaking of envy Micah....nice loader. :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Nice Pics Rex, Soil quality looks good down there and probably due to you're effort.

I've been Tilling a large area today down in a small village in West Sussex and Spring is well set in here. Saw my first Butterfly and Cherry Plums have been in Flower since last week, full of bees already!. Ground is perfect for working. Have major problems with Rabbit damage on the Lawns, so that will take some time to sort out as there is 2 1/2 Acres of it !. Planning to take the Raider 12 back down there soon to it's original home to treat the Lawns with the Cyclone Seeder before I restore it (also gives me space up here to finish the C-120).

I'll post some pics next week (forgot Camera today :thumbs: ).

fabricator2009

Nice pics.

WH Raider10

Great pics!!! :wh: In belgium it's also very good and hot weather,I tilled my garden last Sunday. :thumbs:

farmer

Got my early spuds in last night,

the wife was out, so I "borrowed" her tractor....couldn't be bothered to take the tiller off again. Just hope we don't get hard late frosts next month. :thumbs:

IMG-20110325-00117.jpg

300zx

Farmer, your garden looks great!

I see you use the whole potato and let it sprout before you plant them. We always cut the eyes off of the potatoes, used them for seed and ate the rest. Is there an advantage to using the whole potato?

I don't plant any early garden, but I am anxious to get the tomatoes planted. I usually plant 6 the first week of April using water walls to prevent frost damage and to warm up the soil around the plant. Our last frost date is in May. I'll put the rest out then. I just need to have a few tomatoes before July 4!!

farmer

Hi John,

I'm not sure if leaving the seed potatoes whole makes any difference, just always done it that way. Setting them out in trays to sprout does speed the job up though :wh: . Your tomato crop sounds important..is there something special about the 4th of July :thumbs::D

I grow my toms in the open garden but I don't get any to eat till August :D

so I'm curious , what are water walls ?

farmer

The year moves on, May already and we really need rain. The weather people say the southern counties have had the dryest March/April for sixty years..I think I remember 2, half days of rain. :D

Anyway the potatoes don't seem to mind (at the moment) I earthed up the earlies ten days ago, tonight I did the rest. What would have been maybe an hours hard work, done in just over 5 mins. Thankyou :thumbs::D

IMG-20110504-00143.jpg

IMG-20110504-00144.jpg

Anyone else out there in :wh: world, playing in the dirt yet ?

Butch

Great pics Farmer. Nice looking soil! :thumbs: :wh:

perry

too much rain here in MI, grounds too wet to even get into the garden. calling for frost tonight. might be a few weeks before i can turn up some ground :thumbs:

puddlejumper

Most everybody here knows where your rain is. As much rain as we have had in the last month and a half there isnt any left for you.

kloe0699

Too wet here in NY also.. I am itching to try my new plow out but it keeps pouring. I can hardly walk on my garden at the moment.

sorekiwi

"No rain in England" actually means that it only rained for 23 hours of each day. Thats pretty much the same as what we have here in Ohio right now.

The garden looks great!

300zx

so I'm curious , what are water walls

Farmer, sorry I missed your question earlier about water walls. Here is a link to them:

Water Walls

They are basically a two layers of plastic closed at the bottom and sealed about every two inches around the circumference. You then open the top of each 2 inch tube and fill it 2/3's with water. It basically forms a tee pee green house around the plant. I have been using them for the last 6 years with good results. If you leave them on too long, they can cook the plant, so when it gets warm, I have to get them off.

6wheeler

Well, I just did something a little crazy last night. My neighbor had a couple of loads of horse manure with shavings mixed in so I had him haul it over here and spread it on 2 of my gardens. Then he went home and brought over his 1206 IH with a 12 foot chisel plow and chisel it in. It is supposed to be in the upper 60's in Sat and Sun. so I am going to put the disc on the 120 and disc them maybe if I can work those shavings in it will loosen up my ground. And on an interesting note, I left 2 rows of onions in the ground last fall,(well basically I forgot them and then it froze)that I was just going to plow down this spring. Now the dang things are growing. Anyone ever have this happen? I wonder if they will be any good.

Jim_M

Onions will winter over with no problem. Let them grow, they'll be fine.

Jim_M

I got lucky and got my garden worked up and planted the early stuff just before the monsoons started around here. I have spinach, lettuce, peas, beets, carrots, radishes, onions and turnips coming up and looking good.

I didn't get a chance to plant the potatoes before it started raining and now I'm glad I waited, we got a pretty hard frost this morning. I'm hoping it dries up in the next week or two so I can plant potatoes.

I'll wait until late May or early June to plant the rest of it, corn, beans, etc.

puddlejumper

Your onions will be fine but you may want to eat them green. They will try to go to seed this second year and the onion will not store very well.

meadowfield

one word! awesome...

IthacaJeff

It is a beautiful sight for sure. Really wish I could get away with not having a deer

fence!

Jeff in Enfield NY

farmer

Well we've had salad crops for a while, :woohoo: now it the turn of the peas and beans.

They are never better than picked fresh, but you can only eat so much, so most will be frozen, hopefully we will have cleared most of these before the runner beans are ready in a few weeks, (the novelty of picking wears off with the kids after a while...don't want to push my luck with them :D )

Anyone else out there harvesting yet?

IMG-20110628-00162.jpg