Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

do tires get old

dgjks6

I have 3 wheel horse tractors - all with tires that are 20+ years old. Most of the tires hold air, but the ones that don't have tubes. The tires though are hard and shiny - even though they have good tread.

I have a fairly steep yard and tracton is occasionally a problem. Would a new set that are "more rubbery" give better traction? Weights do help, but in the spring the yard is wet and I leave more marks if I have the weights on.

Just looking for input and whether its worth spending $200 for a new set of rubber all around.

slufoot733

dgjks6, it seems tires do harden up with age. I believe that as long as the tire is not split open you should be safe by installing a new inner tube if needed. You might also try lowering the air pressure to gain a little traction.

There are many products on the market to treat rubber tires and help extend their lives. Some may ever revitalize the rubber compound and make them a little more 'rubbery'. Since these are not high speed tires it's not a safety issue. Storing the tractor out of direct sun light also helps. The sun will damage tires over time. If it's not in a shed or barn then keep it covers with a tarp or other suitable means.

ddworkm

Ok Hijacking a little bit here. What can you use to prolong the life of the tires as far as what compound? And where does everyone buy their innertubes... I was just looking some up trying to get an idea of what to do