Sign in to follow this  
rjr

Fuel pump

rjr

During snow blowing season the best starting C-121 (K301AS) stopped running. Wouldn't even fire with a shot of starting fluid. Checked the spark with a spark tester and by placing the plug next to the head. Both showed a spark. Disconnected the fuel line from the carb turned it over. No gas. Disconnected the input to the fuel pump gas flowed. Rebuilt the carb anyway. Took the plastic fuel pump apart hoping to see a tear in the diaphram. No such luck. Instead there was a flat rubber washer, an aspirin shaped thing with a spring on it that looked like it broke off one of the brass pieces in the bottom of the pump. I am hoping someone will tell me that it broke off and isn't suppose to just sit there. I didn't see any way to hold it in place if it wasn't broken.

I am also puzzeled why the engine wouldn't at least pop with starting fluid. This has happened before on other engines and I cannot figure out why. Rebuilding the carb always fixes it but I am still puzzeled.

I think this all started because there was no filter in the line. There was junk in the pump and the carb. Anyone know the filter number?

Thanks

rjr

mavfreak

You can use any small engine fuel filter don't know about feul pump sorry

rjr

I went to the Kohler website to ID the filter and was surprised to see that this motor had a sediment bowl filter. I suppose that means that this is not the original motor since I have the under seat tank on this one.

Can anyone recommend a suitable inline filter?

rmaynard

I would bet the farm that the piece in the pump is broken, but that does not explain away the problem of not firing, even with starter fluid. If you have spark, then the only other missing component is compression. Could be a stuck valve.

rjr

Kelly

Thanks for the tip. Do you recommend their other parts? Their price on the pumps is pretty good too.

Rmaynard you are going to make me cry. I had not thought of compression. I am going right now to spin it by hand

rjr

It feels like there is some compression but the compression release isn't going to allow a much. Is there a good way to tell?

Kelly

I buy lots of stuff from them, 99% is very good stuff, their gaskets are ok, kinda thin, but work.

Kelly

On the running issue, first DON'T use starting fliud on small engines, you can hurt them, I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner, I would try a new spark plug, some will not fire under compression, I've ran engines with carbs even on them by misting carb cleaner in the intake port, but if you spray to much in it will not fire, it floods it.