Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorseSteve

K341 Puffs... and Puffs... and Puffs

WheelHorseSteve

Hello everyone --

Thanks to heavy rain and massive amounts of snow melt off, our hilly gravel driveway turned into a creek bed as usual... deep ruts. Excited to use my C160a to do some grading to fix these ruts, I went to start it and had a strange problem that I hope somebody can diagnose --

The engine turns over but it's as if it's stuck in low throttle and or/choke... it literally is running about 60-120 RPM... puffing on each stroke. I've tried reducing choke, increasing throttle... reducing throttle, increasing choke... every combination I can come up with... and still the same behavior. :thumbs:

I just bought this tractor and am unfamiliar with how it operates in cold weather. It's about 26F this morning... but I feel like the cold might not be the only thing going on here... this tractor is famous for its plowing abilities!

Please help!

Thanks!

-Steve

rmaynard

The K341 should run in that kind of weather with no special help.

Could be any number of things wrong, but I'd start with carburetor or fuel pump since you do have spark. Sounds to me like it is not getting enough gas.

Have you taken the bowl off the carb to see if it has water or sludge in it, and that the float is working properly?

Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working? You will get a little gas just by gravity, but not enough to run at more than idle if the pump is not working.

Bob

Shuboxlover

Would wet points cause this issue??? :thumbs:

stevebo

Sounds simple but did you check to see if when you move the choke and throttle levers if they are actually moving the linkage on the carb?

Ken B

Do what Steve said first before you take anything apart. I kept the C-160 in my shed all winter and it started in the coldest of weather, even if I hadn't used it in weeks. You may have flooded it, especially if the choke is stuck closed.

VinsRJ

Would wet points cause this issue??? :thumbs:

No, wet points would cause a no spark situation. Check the cables as Steve and Ken stated.

WheelHorseSteve

Thanks guys! I suspect that you're right about the cables... moving the controls didn't seem to do anything at all! (not sure if one or both broke or came loose). In particular, the throttle control seemed to do absolutely nothing... the choke seemed to do a little bit.

I'll give the direct method a try tonight. It has a full tank of fresh fuel and ran 2 days ago like a charm... glad to hear that I shouldn't have these problems in the dead of winter. :thumbs:

I'll keep you posted --

Thanks again!

-Steve

stevasaurus

There is also a little spring connected to the idler that may have broken or let loose.

Dresden Guy

I'm not a engine wizard like the ones posting before me, but a tip someone mentioned sometime back was: the gas cap had no airflow (the vent was plugged) and gas was not flowing evenly :thumbs:

I have a K341 on my C-160 and it started in 0 degrees on two different occasions, and I keep my tractor outdoors. I know that if my battery gets run down, the spark is insuffucient to run the engine up to speed and it makes you think there's water in the gas - for lack of a better explanantion.

Someone on RS said, if it can't be fixed with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem!

Be sure to let us all know what it was when the problem has been sleuthed and fixed. :thumbs:

WheelHorseSteve

So wouldn't you know it... Broken choke cable. The tractor was running full choke! :thumbs:

The break is in the "sheathing" close to the fuel filter / starter / battery, such that when you use the control it just slides the sheathing back and forth.

The MacGyver in me was thinking duct tape but it will never hold... Looks like I'm in the market for a new cable! (if you have an extra for this machine, please let me know)

Thanks, everyone! (glad it was something easy)

-Steve

Ken B

I'm glad it turned out to be something simple, as I knew it would be.

Rule #1 in diagnostics, observe and survey, always start with the simple things before you start tearing things apart.

WheelHorseSteve

Absolutely... it was a rookie mistake (I should have checked at the carb before even posting here). Definitely glad it was something simple!

So I have a replacement choke cable & control on the way thanks to another RedSquare member (what a great community). I've noticed that some C-series have different lever "knobs" than others. If the replacement cable has the other knob, can I switch them? (not sure if the knobs come off or the cables come off the control lever) Definitely want to maintain the matching knobs if possible...