Sign in to follow this  
hodge

GT 1600 paint suggestions?

hodge

Has anyone painted a workhorse, and what paint did they use? I want to eventually repaint my Workhorse, and I want it original. Oh, while on that, are there any links for new decals? Blessings to you all!

nylyon

Can't help you with the paint, but check the links sticky in the Wheel Horse Tractors forum for decals. Midwest custom has made custom decals and is worth giving a call.

linen beige

Just about any good body shop or any good auto paint supplier can computer match the paint. I would suggest a reputable body shop, since they should have experience matching faded paint from many different manufacturers. Take your Work Horse to them and they should be able to fix you right up. As mentioned above, the links section is a very good place to start looking for decals, and you probably won't have to look any further. I would offer to have the paint on my Work Horse matched, and post the codes for you, but my Work Horse is a 1965 1054a in Wheel Horse red. I'm assuming your's is Gray and maroon?

TT

The 1983 - 84 WorkHorse models used non-metallic "Pewter Gray" paint. (1982 models used "Pewter Gray Metallic".)

Aerosol cans of touch-up paint in quantities of 6 (P/N 80337) is still showing as a "good number" at PartsTree for around $30.

If you want to use automotive paint and a "big spray gun", you can always go to your local supplier and look through the books until you find a similar color, or - if they're equipped to do so - have it "computer matched". (previously mentioned) The underside of the fenders, hood, or belt guard are perfect locations to find a good spot to match with the spectroscope.

Decals for the "Gray Horses" are very tough to locate and very few have been reproduced. (only the ones shared with the "regular" Wheel Horse tractors, such as the Tach-a-Matic, PTO clutch, and gear postion indicator decal.)

If your original decals are legible enough to get good high resolution photos of, "vinylguy52", a member here at RedSquare can probably reproduce them. (He owns Midwest Custom Graphics / TroopSigns - which Karl has previously mentioned.) He is very busy, so give him plenty of "lead time". :whistle:

joebob

check with autobody paint dealers they some times can look up codes for about anything that has been sprayed , they all want to sell you paint , or they will mix your paint from a part that you bring in, just make sure it's not faded or that's the color you will get, good luck with the project

linen beige

just make sure it's not faded or that's the color you will get,

That's why I suggested using a reputable body shop, and I will add, preferably one that has done more than a couple of true restorations. They would be the ones most apt to bring out the original "shade from under the fade" and are less likely to want to just sell you some paint. These places truly appreciate word of mouth adverising and know that they may make a few dollars off of one person by doing him wrong, but stand to make a lot more from him and his referals if they treat him right. If you do end up chosing a shade from a book of paint chips make sure to view the color march under fluorescent light, incandescent light AND sunlight , with all sources both direct and shaded/reflected, before you settle on a shade. That is especially important with whites, grays and pastels.