Sign in to follow this  

broken head bolt in block

i broke my head bolt off in my engine block and now its stuck and ive been letting it soak with pb blaster and i tried using an extracter set but that didnt work, i have other ideas but there not worth trying yet.. the bolt is in between the valves , so what do you guys think i should do????

smoreau

Ok I had one last weak, it was a 8hp k181 and the bolt closest to the exhaust port was broken off with about 1/2" sticking out. I soaked it for 3 days and it still didn't come out with vice grips. So I welded a 3/8 nut to it. I didn't want to heat up the block with a torch, so I worked the bolt back and forth, :thumbs: It broke off flush with the block. So I welded a 1/2" nut to it and put a little heat to it and it came right out. that one was stuck real bad. I am not a fan of drilling and taping if I don;t have to. Its hard to keep it strait in the hole if you know what I mean. This what I did and I have used this trick allot in the automotive feild. Hoop this helps

Scott :thumbs: :thumbs:

VinsRJ

IMO heat is the best tool for frozen bolts. Not to much heat..... just enough. Work things slowly and 90% of the time they will come out. Now with aluminum all bets are off :thumbs:

Ok I had one last weak, it was a 8hp k181 and the bolt closest to the exhaust port was broken off with about 1/2" sticking out. I soaked it for 3 days and it still didn't come out with vice grips. So I welded a 3/8 nut to it. I didn't want to heat up the block with a torch, so I worked the bolt back and forth, :thumbs: It broke off flush with the block. So I welded a 1/2" nut to it and put a little heat to it and it came right out. that one was stuck real bad. I am not a fan of drilling and taping if I don;t have to. Its hard to keep it strait in the hole if you know what I mean. This what I did and I have used this trick allot in the automotive feild. Hoop this helps

Scott :thumbs::thumbs:

yeah i would think so,but i dont have a welder so i will have to wait a long time all my friends that have welders dont have the time. but yeah i tried the vise grips thing to not sure if i mentioned that in my post