Sign in to follow this  
frankiefiredog

See what you started!

frankiefiredog

2011-03-02_21-01-09_296.jpg

Last night I picked up this little gem from a nice Wheel Horse fan down in Spencer. I knew it was 16HP and I knew it was an 8-Speed, but I didn't know the model number. It drives great. Gears are tight and shift smooth. Motor is strong. Tires are a little cracked but holding air without a problem.

So I looked it up by the model number sticker when I got home.

1982 SK-486

It's been repainted, but it's a worker while I tear apart my dad's old C-120 to restore it. More pictures of that to follow. Many of you here have inspired me to try out this restoration, and I know I will need your help.

I have TWO HORSES in my garage!!! WOOHOOOO!!

2011-03-02_21-04-19_821.jpg

2011-03-02_21-04-09_11.jpg

2011-03-02_21-03-08_260.jpg

2011-03-02_21-03-46_987.jpg

2011-03-02_21-01-22_476.jpg

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

whfan74

Congratulations Dave! :thumbs: Don't store those two tractors close together because they have been known to multiply! :thumbs:

Looking forward to your restoration pictures. Have fun with your new :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Looks like a great project...hood straight, etc. :thumbs: Looking forward to the pictures of the process. :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Its all down hill from here, better tell the significant other they'll be parking outside soon :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Congratulations Dave! :thumbs: Don't store those two tractors close together because they have been known to multiply! :thumbs:

Looking forward to your restoration pictures. Have fun with your new :thumbs:

Is this too close?

2011-03-02_21-04-36_585.jpg

The wife knows that :thumbs: is in my blood. She was smiling last night as I was all giddy!

Thanks guys!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

frankiefiredog

What can you guys tell me about the SK-486? Information about them in cyberspace seems hard to find. Some stuff about being built from leftover parts. Maybe it's a little rare? And the 4 pinion rear end is not as robust? What say you all, RedSquare members?

dgjks6

I would say it is the same as the late 70's C series, just with a 4 pinion transmission. My 312 has the 4 pinion trans and I have beat on it for years and never a problem, so I would not be worried.

kpinnc

I pull a 10-inch moldboard plow through rock-hard red clay every year with my 4-pinion 310-8, and have had no problems. Just don't dump the clutch with a heavy load (considering you have 16 hp attached to it), and you should be fine.

The only 4-pinion I've ever seen broken under "normal" use was when a local knucklehead left his 312-8 stuck one evening and the mud froze overnight. He dumped the clutch the next day trying to break it free, and break free it did! He broke all 4 pinions.

The 4 pinion is still a very sturdy transmission. You should have no problems.

frankiefiredog

Good to know. I'll take all the data I can find on this thing. I already located the manual online, but I have to buy it in paper and have it shipped? :thumbs:

Anyone have a link to a *free* Owners Manual for this ? Thanks!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

AMC RULES

Looks like you're a proud new pappa. I wonder, do :thumbs:'s really multiply lilke rabbits? You better get 'em fixed quick, just in case. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Its all down hill from here, better tell the significant other they'll be parking outside soon :thumbs:

Congradultions Dave! Nice Machine.... :thumbs: Vince Isn't kidding either! I have a 1700 sq ft Garage and All my tractors

stay inside, and my Vehicles? :thumbs: Well lets just say this picture tells it all! :drool: A mans gotta have his priorities in order. :thumbs:

DSCN2560.jpg

can whlvr

i too have a 4pinion 1 inch axle,308,i use it harder than the bigger ones and no problem accept years ago i was a knuckle head as i too let my tractor with chains freeze in the mud and ice,thought id just drive it ouy and that tyhe belt will slip if it wont move,NOPE,she tore the pinions and one axle gear apart,but thats not the tractors fault

frankiefiredog

I will do my very best to keep it from getting frozen in to the ground or dried in to the mud!!! Thanks guys! I hope to get some things started this weekend. Pictures first, then the wheels off. We'll see how it goes!

kthack657

Congrats on the new :thumbs: my hubbie and I started with an old lawn ranger that he mowed thr grass with as a kid, 3 years later we now have 7 with no end in site, he actually purchased a shed just to store them in, but was quickly out of space...now they are in the garage too. if your wife is smiling, get one for her to use and to help you support your habit. Take it from a girl who has been there, now #7 is mine and a project at that! :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

I would say it is the same as the late 70's C series, just with a 4 pinion transmission. My 312 has the 4 pinion trans and I have beat on it for years and never a problem, so I would not be worried.

You are invited to stop over and see it one of these days. I would love to have some good :thumbs: talk with such a seasoned restorer!!! Not to mention your project is looking REALLY good. I respect your patience!!

SNYFIX

Best part is these Horses only eat when thier working !! So collect away !!!