Sign in to follow this  
tmessenger

What WH with 3 point and rear pto ?

tmessenger

Now that I have my new to me 10 8 running good I'm thinking about a tractor I can cut my field with so need a brush hog. I'm a dummy when it comes to the larger D series tractors, did they come with a 3 point hitch and pto that would allow you to run a brush hog ? Been looking at the older Kubota's and they are set up this way.

Tim

Kelly

Yes the D's have 3 points and rear PTO but you can only run a WH rear mounted mower, aftermarket brush hogs are way to big for a WH, and the PTO is not set up to run the big mowers.

tmessenger

Yes the D's have 3 points and rear PTO but you can only run a WH rear mounted mower, aftermarket brush hogs are way to big for a WH, and the PTO is not set up to run the big mowers.

The small kubota's are only a 1,000 pound tractors with 14hp but they run 48" brush hogs on them with no problem. I've heard they make a 40" brush hog also but they are not common. But the kubota's do have a standard pto to drive them. Lots of old Ford 8n tractors around here cheap but they are too big to do finish mowing with.

jtmoyer

the d's only had a rear finish mower not a bush hog. if you are going to cut brush it will not work. the pto speed is 2k where most others ran them at 540. now you could change the pulleys to make it run at 540.

all d's will accept the pto and the 3 point but not all came with them.

Kelly

And the Kubotas have real PTO's, like a farm tractor, not a belt drive PTO, my B6200 had a 3 speed rear PTO, the whole tractor was built like a farm tractor, if it wasn't so beat up I would have fixed it and used it. I see little kubotas around me for $2500 in nice shape with attachments.

6wheeler

I am with Kelly on this. For what you would have to pay for a nice D and set it up for what you want to do, you could probably get a smaller Kubota that will do the job you want. I've been looking for something like that and I looked at a few green tractors but they are so expensive and they are still just a lawn tractor. You could also look at TYMs and Mahindras or Kioti's they are small Farm tractors and IMO, built like it. And they will handle most smaller farm implements.

kyhorse

I am still on the steep part of the learning curve as well. My D-160 came with a 3 pt on it but I was confused about the PTO thing. Now if I understand correctly, these rear mount tillers must use the same pulley arrangement that you are calling a PTO- right? That would explain a lot. I have not used my tractor for anything yet but I can't see it powering a bushhog too well- maybe a 20 or the 25 HP would. Wonder how many HP the attachment alone would use? I hear that just turning an empty PTO takes 1 HP. :thumbs:

tmessenger

The kubota's I'm looking at are the older B series the 4200~5200 is a two cylinder 12hp some are four wheel drive and don't bring much money. The B6100 ~ B6200 are 3 cylinder 14hp. two or four wheel drive. They have multi speed pto's but the issue with them is they turn counter clockwise so not all implements work with then or you have to buy an expensive pto reverser. Guess this was kubota's way of selling there own powered implements. Guys that own these say they are really tough and reliable.

tm

B-8074

Have you looked at the large Bolens tractors? I've seen some real nice diesel ones that are the size of the Kubota.

tmessenger

Have you looked at the large Bolens tractors? I've seen some real nice diesel ones that are the size of the Kubota.

Nope didn't know about them but I'll look around.

Thanks.

WheelHorse_of_course

I hate to say it, but I agree that you should consider something other than a wheel horse.

You might look at Case Ingersol and Ingersol tractors. Not sure if they have a 3pt with PTO, but they are well made like our beloved horses!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Kelly

Case tractors can have a 3 point, but only have hyd. to run attachments, no PTO shaft.

B-8074

If you check the pittsburgh CL, put bolens in the search box and you'll see some of the bigger tractors. Some are also Diesel.

catman81056

Here's a pic of a D160 with the 50" tiller;

DSCF0766.jpg

pfrederi

How big a field do you need to brush hog and how rough is it??

I have about 25 acres that I mow some weekly some 1 time per year to keep the brush down.. It ranges from lawn to fairly rough pasture. I use a variety of equipment Case Farm tractors (DC3 and VAC)with a sickle mower and and 6' NH finish mower and a 5ft wood belly mount. Also use a D200 with a finish mower on the back and a few other wheel horses.

For the intial cutting for some fields I paid a guy with a brush hog. For others I borrowed a Case 311b with a hog to do the initial work. Most fields if they are not too rough can be maintained with a finish mower, but you have to stay after it. If you let the grass get to high.... Fields I do once a year I use the sickle bar.

If you only want to mow one time per year then a brush hog on a farm tractor or a sickle bar is the way to go. The D200 with the finish mower can't do it.

JC 1965

I've seen some find of an outfit that looks a bush hog but has an engine mounted on it. You pull it with your tractor or ATV and it cuts using its own power. I don't know the cost, may be to expensive. Just throwing that out there,for what it's worth. :thumbs:

tbbahner

Get one of these. Fairly small, handy, manuverable, and can attach all the implements you'll ever need. Plus, you'll own a neat piece of agricultural history.

Ferguson TO30 TO20

DSC00594.jpg

Ferguson TO35

DSC02383.jpg

Ferguson F40

F4074Done3.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

There's a lot of small farm tractors out there cheap, that will serve what you're wanting to do. My first addiction is Wheel Horse, but we often ask too much of them. IMO

tmessenger

How big a field do you need to brush hog and how rough is it??

I have about 1-1/4 acres I'd like to mow 3 times a year it's bottom land up to my wood lot. I've borrowed a tractor / brush hog in the past and it worked well for this. Ideally I'd like a small tractor that can handle both this and finish mowing and pushing snow. The Bolens diesel tractors I've read are very spendy to get parts for, the Kubota B6000 series tractors are much more common with new and use parts available.

And yeah the 8n's are cool a friend has one and I used it quite a bit, they are very capable and not expensive. Lots of them around here in Iowa but I'm trying to find one do all tractor and that so far seems to be the small Kobota.