Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

front wheel shims/washers

dgjks6

I am remounting the front wheels and tires on my tractor. The parts viewer calls for a .050shim then the tire, then a .015 shim and a washer, then the clip.

I have 1 .050 shim, 4 .140 shims and the washer.

How important is it to have a .050 shim instead of a .150?

WH854

I would say not much, if you can get the clip to go on :thumbs:

Chas

Kelly

I buy a pack of assorted 3/4" shim washers from TSC, and shim them so the clip, bolt and washer how ever the wheel is held on, fits tight.

JC 1965

I don't think it matters about the exact amount of shims you put on, as long as you put on enough to take the play out. Just make sure the wheel is on tight but still turns freely. Hope that makes sense!! :thumbs:

Duff

What Jerry and Kelly said! :thumbs:

Whoever made up the IPL probably used information from the original factory build specs. As things wear it's normal for clearances to widen, so shim out to whatever gives you a snug fit. All three of my tractors have different numbers and thicknesses of shims on the front axles yet they roll and drive quite nicely!

Duff :thumbs:

dgjks6

just fyi

I was trying to do the OEM thing and put the shims in like the diagram. Then I reas in one of the manuals it says to add shims until there is up to .015 inches of play. Off to remove the front wheels.

varosd

Does this help? This was in my Dad's WH file...looks almost like out of a parts manual? the paper it's on is kinda thick like a parts manual. If it isnt legible enough and you want a better copy, PM me.. Does anyone think this should go in the memorabilia section?

wheelhorse.png