Sign in to follow this  
dpm2000bolt

C141 DIESEL CONVERSION

dpm2000bolt

I have noticed that in my searches some conversions was done awhile back so I thought I would try a new post

I am setting out to do a DIESEL CONVERSION on my C141 as the old K321 is dead. I stripped the old Gasser along with to mounting plate I found some conversions and seen that all mounted to the frame. I found the drive gear and the PTO collar are both 1" dia. on both motors :thumbs:..

my big concerns are how to mount up the PTO as I plan to work it, then it looks like I am going to have to cut the hood. when you do the conversion do you mount the motor to snug the belt?

Don1977

A K-321 should have a 1 1/8" crankshaft if it hasn't been changed. To get every

to work properly the new engine needs to be located with the crankshaft in the same location as the original engine.

dpm2000bolt

I had it rebuilt once and never know what the owner before did to it, but was glad to find it having the 1" Dia shaft.

I can get measurements from my Hydro C141 to where the PTO should be placed plus same pullies and belt I could put till tight. I am needing to come up with a way to mount the bottom of the PTO arm that would have set in the motor mount but that is now getting kicked to the curb.

does anyone know about Glo plugs? I am new to Diesels but figure I can learn on the go.. the motor has it do I just put a 12+ on it with a button to warm it before firing correct?

Jim_M

You'll have to fabricate a bracket for the pto hoop.

Wire the glow plug to a starter solenoid and use a push button switch to energize the solenoid. The switch won't be able to carry the load if it's wired directly to the glow plug and it won't last long.

dpm2000bolt

Shopping for a battery, should I think about getting anything bigger? I read on one conversion that he removed the factory gas tank under the seat to put two batteries there.

as I am new to diesel and just wanting advise

the limited information calls for a 12v up to 36AH I am thinking that is just a normal battery correct me if I am wrong

Jim_M

I used the best garden tractor battery that they had at Autozone and I've never had a problem.

dpm2000bolt

Jim_M, do you have a Diesel? did you go to a get together in Defiance last year?

Jim_M

Yup, I was there.

SALTYWRIGHT

HI...I PUT 2 BATTERYS IN MY DIESEL, BUT IT WILL START WITH ONE. THE GLOW PLUG IS ONLY 12 AMPS SO A GOOD PUSH BUTTON SWITCH WILL DO. IT IS NOT A GLOW PLUG ON MINE,BUT A HEATED UNIT IN THE INTAKE. I HAVE THE 10 HORSE POWER CARROL STREAM MOTOR. IT HAS BEEN VERY GOOD. RUSS

dpm2000bolt

Russ.. mine is the same 10 hp Carroll Stream also, I got it mounted and running tonight and think that I missed getting the belt tight as I have to pull back on the clutch pedal to get it moving.

I might have to slot the holes a bit. could I ask for some pictures of yours? I am wondering about the batteries and how people are doing things. How are you shutting it off? throttle it down all the way?

littleredrider

Don't mean to hyjack, but anyone with a 10 horse take some measurements for me?? I want to get one, but want to be sure it will fit without major hacking. I plan on taking the muffler, tank and filter off, so height-width-length?? Mostly concerned with the cylinder and housing being in the way......

dpm2000bolt

Littleredrider I am sorry I am going to try to take pictures with a tape included

I have the diesel running good and saltywright I am thinking of following your lead once the gas tank is removed the battery fits nice in the old mount just have to get it mounted down I am having Belt slipping a bit so I am looking forward to once it grabs as I know I have not got all the power to the wheels, that and still not sure what I am going to do with the hood as look like it is going to hit on many things

only regret is not doing it sooner

sorekiwi

10HP_Measurements_005.jpg

The picture didnt come through that clear, its on Carrol Streams website.

littleredrider

Those measurements I got, but wondered if anyone had one without the gas tank and stuff, want to see if it would fit under the hood without cutting. I think it will....

smoreau

Shopping for a battery, should I think about getting anything bigger? I read on one conversion that he removed the factory gas tank under the seat to put two batteries there.

as I am new to diesel and just wanting advise

the limited information calls for a 12v up to 36AH I am thinking that is just a normal battery correct me if I am wrong

as for batt. manufacters you get what you pay for. and the last lawn tractor batt I baught was at a green deer store. Not that I'm a fan , but there warranty is better then any one else (1 year free replacment and 3 year pro rated) and they fill the batt when you buy it so its fresh. cost me $55 and was well worth its price. the last one that I had lasted 8 years with never once putting a charger on it or jumping it and was still was working when I sold the tractor :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

dpm2000bolt

Littleredrider what tractor are you putting it on? the head of the motor with the decompression release. but I and glad I got it and will make the hood work as it is a power house can't wait to get it up and running but just toying with it that is a sweet motor for half the price of a K321

littleredrider

I want to put it in one of my round hoods. I have a Honda clone 13 horse on my 63 ranger, and after comparing the two motors, I think the 10 horse diesel will fit, AFTER I take the tank, filter and muffler off.

Even if I have to trim some off the hood, won't be a big deal, none of the hoods I have are in great shape.

Jim_M

You might want to take a look at the 4 horse diesel for your round hood. It's a good fit and has power to spare. I have one on a 654 that I use for plowing snow and it's an animal.

littleredrider

I looked at the smaller one, and for not even $100 I can have the 10 horse.

But I might do the smaller engine, all depends.....

Jim_M

The 4 horse fits in the round hoods without modifications and feels like the same power as an 8 horse gas engine, but uses far less fuel.

littleredrider

Not too worried bout the fuel consumption, even the biggest engine will use less fuel than either of mine now. (Funny, the 13 horse clone uses less fuel than the 8 horse Kohler)

But I did some checking, and the measurements are real close to the 13 clone I have in the ranger now. Only thing that concerns me now is how the motor will sit in the frame so the belt will line up, and the blower housing hitting the hood.

That is where I need someone that has the 10 horse diesel to take that measurement for me......Getting anxious to build this!!!

dpm2000bolt

I took quick measurements right before i left for work so they are ball park but not exact. I measured the Block to flywheel gaurd i got 10" across, the hieght frame to top of decompresion relief is 19" and I think front to back of the block was around 15". I think I would go along with Jims thoughts as I am still wondering if it will fit my 1978 C141, as I still am not even close to thinking about the hood yet as it is going to need cut. I am glad i have spare metal of another C141.

so putting a diesel in a round nose i would not go with the 10 hp if you remove muffler, tank and what ever else you are thinking you still have the Block that stands very tall. I thought I had plenty of room.

Don1977

Take the dimensions shown in sorekiwi post and divide my 25.4 will give you inches.

Some of the shorter dimensions have a decimal that had to see.

SALTYWRIGHT

I DID NOT HAVE TO CUT MY HOOD ON MY 417-8. I USED 2 REG. TRACTOR BATTERYS AND THAT HAS WORKED OUT VERY GOOD. I DO NOT USE A P.T.O. ON MINE. IF YOU WANT A P.T.O. YOU NEED A ONE INCH UNIT. I ALSO PUT A CRANE ON THE BACK OF MINE. IT WILL PICK 900 LBS. RUSS

dpm2000bolt

Saltywright the 417-8 looks like you have more hieght the what I have on the C141 as it looks to have a lower hood, I already have mine set up for a 1" dia. drive pulley and PTO collar so I have to cut the Key to size and my PTO will go together and I will have the Mower deck working.