Sign in to follow this  
closha63

Thinking About Building

closha63

OK so I have a couple wheel horses and my wifes father has many JD's. He is always telling me that WH can not out pull JD. Now I have noticed that almost ever JD i have ever seen or worked on are very heavy compared to WH. Now i remembered that i have a couple 753 model frames and a charger 12 sitting in my back barn. Now has anyone put a 8sp HI-Low tranny in round hood? Or has anyone put that tranny in a Charger 12? For the charger 12 what all linkage would be needed? I would like to build the 753 with 8SP Hi-Low tranny with a nice set or filled 23x8.50R12 ag's with the international Harvester wheel weights. And a nice deal pully set to help with the power/torque ratio. What do you guys think and does anyone have a 8sp HI-Low tranny for sale. I live in PA 17372. So can i get some thoughts and ideas on what to build.... I just wana kick his Ass to show him a real work horse.

wheelhorse656

like they say Nothing can run like a Deere[color/] but nothing can work like a horse[color/]

closha63

Now see thats the type of project that i would like to do.. What kind of torque/ power do you get using a 8HP and the 8SP Hi-Low tranny? Is that a good combination? And a second question is their any kind of diagram that i can use to wire up the alt/gen. and is there a way to test the regulator that mounts to the top?

littleredrider

I have two running round hoods and both have the 8 speed tranny. Both are lawn rangers, little brothers to a 753. The 67 has a Kohler 8 horse on it, stock engine pulley but a slightly smaller tranny pully. It has a snow plow on it, and I think it has a split personality cause this thing is a tank!!!! Hard to get traction in the snow, but seems like it has a lot of power.

My other lawn ranger is a 63, that took some steroids couple months ago, now has the bigger tires like a 753 would have. But the motor is a 13 horse, along with the 8 speed tranny. I changed the tranny pulley to a 2" IIRC and now it will haul ass!!! But, still has all kinds of grunt to do whatever.

I have another tractor that I'm gonna build once it gets warmer....keep us posted!!!!